Talk

Advanced search

any reason why raisins are 12 months+?

(11 Posts)
MamaChris Fri 03-Oct-08 19:40:22

Was browsing shelves in supermarket today, and spotted Organix raisins and sultanas. Remembered ds (8mo) hadn't yet tried these. But the packet said not suitable for under 12 months. I know about honey and nuts, but I didn't realise raisins were foods we needed to wait on. Does anyone know why?

NorthernLurker Fri 03-Oct-08 19:44:48

I think it's a size thing rather than a content thing iyswim.

Or else the manufacturers know how much mess they make everywhere and is trying to preserve you grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 03-Oct-08 19:46:11

Trying to save the raisin to grape trick until the child is one

grin

Acksherly, I don't know, unless a choke hazard.

StealthPolarBear Fri 03-Oct-08 19:46:54

What??
I think they're fine

Janus Fri 03-Oct-08 19:47:11

Very spookily my 5 year old dd just choked on hers tonight, I had to whack her back very hard to dislodge the raisin and scared the pants off me.
It must be a choking hazard thing, please wait.

harpomarx Fri 03-Oct-08 19:47:53

because they are vile. And a one year old child has a mind of its own and will be able to decide for itself whether to eat them smile

Waswondering Fri 03-Oct-08 19:51:51

I would guess choking.

I do wonder about the point of them though - they seem to pass through the digestive tract intact but nicely plumped up by the gastric juices, ready to present themselves first thing in the morning in their whole, glofiried state to mummy who always seems to be on nappy duty.

jollyoldstnickschick Fri 03-Oct-08 19:52:15

they swell in the tummy and when the baby poops they are rehydrated....tmi but v screy first time round lol blush

littlelapin Fri 03-Oct-08 19:55:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMum Fri 03-Oct-08 19:58:05

choking hazard

MamaChris Fri 03-Oct-08 20:02:00

hadn't heard of the raisin to grape trick grin hmm - think we can wait on that, and definitely so if it's a choking hazard (had heard that about grapes, just not raisins).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now