Talk

Advanced search

salt in adult foods??

(9 Posts)
jammi Fri 03-Oct-08 15:15:12

Message withdrawn

HeinzSight Fri 03-Oct-08 15:17:07

Yes would agree with that. A lot of processed foods are very high in salt. You're much better making your own. If you can, make up dinner, then remove a batch for your baby then season yours.

jammi Fri 03-Oct-08 15:19:46

Message withdrawn

HeinzSight Fri 03-Oct-08 15:26:44

No, occasionally I give DD (12 months) baby foods from jar etc but according to Annabel Karmel these don't have as much iron in them as home made. Esp the organic ones.

I'm kind of in the same boat with DD. I am struggling to come up with ideas for her, need to study my weaning book again blush

HeinzSight Fri 03-Oct-08 15:28:09

veg and fruit is great, bread great, just need to get protein in there somehow. I'm struggling myself with that one, DD doesn't like the texture of meat much, or chicken, I guess she needs to get used to it, I must keep trying!

MarlaSinger Fri 03-Oct-08 15:30:31

Personally now DS is 11 months I am less stressed about salt - because I don't add it to anything I do make (like you, things like pasta sauces) then I am less inclined to worry about something like a shop-bought pie as long as everything else is okay. If he has one or two things with salt in one day then I make sure for the next day or two that it is significantly less, IYSWIM.

meandmyjoe Sat 04-Oct-08 09:41:42

My ds is 13 months old and since being 12 months I have given him whatever we eat. That said, I do cook a lot and dnever add salt to food as I don't like it. I must admit that he had pasta sauce from a jar since being about 9 months old but other than that everything is home cooked. I would have thought that your ds is still only eating small portions so whatever you eat should be OK. As long as you do keep an eye on his salt intake and always check the ingredients on packets.

pinata Sat 04-Oct-08 11:22:25

my DD is 10mo and i wouldn't give her a full adult shop bought meal - most of what she has is home cooked, with no salt.

however, if i'm eating something and she's not having her meal at the same time, i will give her a taste (no more than a mouthful or 2) regardless of salt content.

the guidelines for 6mo-1year old is no more than 1g salt/day here

charitas Sat 04-Oct-08 12:09:36

Hi, I'm struggling with the same thing and find cheese scones or using scone mix as a pizza base very useful. Very quick to make and piglet (6.5mnths) finds them easy to chew.Bonus cheese scones are not very messy at all in BLW terms.I am going to start a thread on lower salt alternatives that are bought on this board as feel we should pool our knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now