Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk,

(5 Posts)
lovemybuggy Thu 02-Oct-08 15:21:03

Is the recommended age for giving this still 12 months?
Anyone done it earlier?

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 02-Oct-08 15:24:25

You can give cows milk in food at 6 months, but not recommended as main drink until 12 months - is this what you mean?

A friend of mine gave cows milk from around 9 months when she started to wind up bf-ing because her baby kept spitting formula out... but that was her decision.

lovemybuggy Thu 02-Oct-08 16:28:08

Yes sorry i meant as a drink.DD is 10 months and been FF since 6 mths,i cant find her brand of formula in any of the shops,been scouring for 3 days and thought may be as easy to change her to cows milk as switch formula then switch again in 2 months !

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 02-Oct-08 17:22:58

Looking on NHS direct, this is what they say:

"For the first 12 months of life, there are only two types of milk that you should use to feed your baby breast milk or infant formula milk (unless you are recommended otherwise by a doctor). Any other type of milk, such as cow's milk, or goat's milk, will not satisfy your baby's nutritional needs, and should not be given to babies under one year of age. A young baby's digestive system is unable to cope with the high protein content of cows milk, or goats milk, and it is likely to cause an adverse reaction."

I would probably do it as a one off and carry on with formula for a bit longer - must be a pain not being able to find your normal brand tho...

Seona1973 Thu 02-Oct-08 19:48:45

what formula do you use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now