Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Heating Purees

(8 Posts)
ChocolateMouse Wed 01-Oct-08 16:10:38

I'm feeling a but confused about information regarding the heating of purees for my lo. Some of the bought 'Plum' pots that I have been getting state to heat them up by standing them in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes, including the chicken and fish ones - I always thought that foods - especially those that contained meat/chicken/fish should be heated up to bubbling. Obviously I would then cool before giving to lo. Anyway, I have heated the Plum ones as stated and all seems fine.

I have now made some purees of my own, grin. I have different ones, some of vegetable and a few with meat or chicken. I have taken the amount out that I need to let defrost overnight in the fridge but how should I warm them up - especially the chicken one? Last night I ended up putting it back in the saucepan to boiling and then cooled it. Am I being paranoid?

wasabipeanut Wed 01-Oct-08 16:12:36

Put them in the microwave and warm them to very hot then let them cool - the homemade ones that is.

The Plum ones you can serve cold - they've been cooked and sealed.

Or you can just sack the whole puree idea and let your lo feed themself - believe me its a lot easier.

ChocolateMouse Wed 01-Oct-08 16:20:23

Hi WP, thanks for the info. I'd been trying to avoid using the microwave to be honest. We started the BLW way but after about 6 weeks we switched - DH said it was too distressing to watch sad. Now however, lo seems to cry after only a few mouthfuls of puree - can't win! blush

wasabipeanut Wed 01-Oct-08 16:34:31

If your lo is crying after being spoon fed it would indicate that perhaps she/he isn't hungry?

I don't understand what is distressing about BLW?

ChocolateMouse Wed 01-Oct-08 16:43:57

It was the gagging reflex that we found distressing, which subsequently made him sick a few times. All normal, I'm sure but distressing all the same.

Pheebe Wed 01-Oct-08 17:37:01

So long as it was frozen straight after being cooked there's no need to reheat your own purees to piping hot. I just take em out, nuke em for about 20 seconds to defrost them and serve em straight away at about room temp. No need to mess about taking them out of the freezer the night before etc.

We offer finger foods as well and its actually important that they do experience gagging as it strengthens their throat muscles just in case they do get something stuck. Also the being sick is their way of shifting whatevers stuck so that too is a good thing. Don't show any distress, maintain eye contact and tell them they're OK but be ready to scoop them up if they seem to be really struggling. We've found that just the act of scooping them up or even just standing up to move to ds2 can have the desired effect smile

weebump Fri 03-Oct-08 00:38:26

I usually gently reheat food in a pan from frozen. Is that alright? I'm crap at planning ahead and taking out of the freezer the day before. I've been doing this for 4 months now, and so far no ill effects. I do make sure they're piping hot, though.

ChocolateMouse Fri 03-Oct-08 14:34:54

That would be great to do - it would save a lot of forward planning. I'm not sure myself to be honest as I'm just as confused but it's good that there have been no ill effects - well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now