Talk

Advanced search

Out and about lunches for 8.5mo. Need inspiration please

(6 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Wed 24-Sep-08 17:00:42

DD mostly has finger food although some jars too. But I really don't know what to give her when we are out. For example today we were going to eat out but were running late so DH and I stopped and got sandwiches. She won't eat cold jars so what could I have bought in Sainsbos to give her which isn't just fruit? I am really stuck for ideas.

likessleep Wed 24-Sep-08 17:09:47

I tend to cook some carrots/brocolli/peas and maybe some salmon or chicken in advance.
My DS quite happy to eat it cold.
I can't think what you could buy to give.
Maybe breadsticks and hummous?
Bread and cheese
Yoghurt afterwards
Not sure ...

EyeballsintheSky Thu 25-Sep-08 19:40:56

Well today I took out a tub of mixed veg, cold cooked pasta, bits of chicken and bits of cheese and just let her at it. She chucked it on the floor and played around a lot but some went in and it was much more fun for her. Thanks for the suggestions.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 19:44:34

Rice cakes, with philly, or a teensy bit of marmite, or get the flavoured ones - apple and cinnamon are nice (I get these for me, not DS blush)

Steamed carrot sticks and babycorn have always been a hit with DS.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 25-Sep-08 21:37:43

Have also bought pitta bread, philly, some little sticks of cheddar and some dried apricots so hopefully I can knock something up out of that. She absolutely adores my muller rices. I don't give her the fruity bit at the bottom so it's just rice pudding really but she will not touch any type of baby rice pudding with a barge pole.

likessleep Thu 25-Sep-08 22:06:29

eyeballs, tesco do pudding rice, which you just mix in the rice with milk and heat up for about 5 minutes. (supposed to then put sugar in but i leave this out).
so much cheaper than buying pots of rice (see me on my skinflint mo, as maternity pay stopped last month!!)
ps can't go wrong with a tub of bits and bobs! leftovers are fab. dh and i are eating so much better, as i make stuff, so that ds can have it following lunchtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now