Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

All you salt-watchers, please advise!

(7 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Mon 22-Sep-08 18:15:50

DS is about 3/4 weeks into BLW and enjoying it all a great deal. He has roasted root veg, slices of mango, papaya, melon, soft pear, etc, the odd chewy crust of bread, and so on. He also has sticks of cheese. Started on strong cheddar but he decided he prefers edam/gouda type cheese since encountering it on holiday! It's become a staple in his daily meals and he has some every day at lunch - I was keen to give him something with protein and lots of fat, since we haven't really got around to meat yet. I wouldn't say I give him massive amounts (maybe 3 sticks 6cm by 1cm), but am worried that the salt content is significant, given he has it every day. BTW, if he had his way, he'd put it away in gargantuan quantities.

Salt in Gouda is 2%. Am I being all PFB, or do I need to cut down?

Overmydeadbody Mon 22-Sep-08 18:18:14

You are being all pfb.

MamaHobgoblin Mon 22-Sep-08 20:35:20

:-)
Well, nobody TELLS you! They just say 'oooh, evil salt!', but don't actually say 'this much is ok, really'. Thanks, anyway.

Psychobabble Mon 22-Sep-08 20:36:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolidaysQueen Mon 22-Sep-08 22:27:14

I was actually coming on to post about salt when I spotted this. Thanks for getting there first MamaH (I'm probably being PFB with you )

Anyway, my tangential question: Can I give my 6 month old salt containing things like bread and butter without worrying? Or do I need to use unsalted butter and limit the bread? What about saltier things like bacon and soy sauce? Obviously I'm not planning to give him a bacon buttie tomorrow for breakfast grin but if he wanted to try something from our plates on occasion that was salty like this, would I have to say no?

Psychobabble Mon 22-Sep-08 22:42:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolidaysQueen Tue 23-Sep-08 08:59:52

Thanks - most of our stuff is homecooked so I figured we'd probably be alright but just wanted to check how much salt really is a no no. As MamaH says, you just get told salt is evil, but that doesn't really help clueless mums of PFBs in the real world when even basic things like bread and cheese contain it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now