Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is this really a sign that a baby is ready for food?

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 22-Sep-08 01:16:16

my friend said that if a baby is chewing its toys and hands excessively then that is some sort of sign they are hungry and ready for solids? she says she read it in some baby book? i've never personally heard that one before but i haven't ever read a baby book apart from the nhs birth to five one.

LadyPenelope Mon 22-Sep-08 03:41:11

never heard that one either nappyaddict! AFAIK, it's a sensory thing ... exploring the world with their mouths. There are loads of other signs for when baby's are ready for solids - sitting up, showing interest in food/reaching for it/watching you eat, gag reflex gone, over certain weight (I think?) - cant' remember them all because we're well past that stage, but definitely wasn't the chewing toys and hands ... think they did this for ages before they wanted or needed solids.

nappyaddict Mon 22-Sep-08 10:49:07

as far as i know being over a certain weight and watching you eat aren't reasons to wean. sitting up straight supported, holding head up, tongue thrust reflex gone (not gag reflex!! they need this to stop them choking) just thought i'd point that out incase someone read it and decided to wean their baby cos they were doing these things.

lulumama Mon 22-Sep-08 13:16:06

never heard that before !! babies, once they can grab stuff, and work out they can get it in their mouths, will do so .

more reliable signs of readiness for food:

loss of tongue thrust reflex

ability to sit unaided and hold head really well

pincer grip / ability to pick up food, chew and swallow

babies watch everything, they ry to chew everything,. but milk is the main source of nutrition , and the safest for the first 6 months at least and food is for fun until you are one!

baby books are not always up to date or even correct on all things.

there is little or nothing to be gained from early weaning.

if your friend's baby is showing other signs, like those above and the ones you have mentioned too, then she could try him with some finger food

waking up more frequenlty, wanting more milk, and doubling birth weight are not reliable indicators of pyhsical readiness for food

Lee00 Wed 22-Oct-08 13:34:19

my baby is having 5 bottle feeds a day and all but one are full bottles 260ml. Lately he still seems hungry after each fed, crying and fretting for more.... is it time to wean him? He current weight is around 8kg

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Oct-08 13:40:20

Lee00, this is an old thread...but in anycase, if your baby shows the signs that Lulu has already mentioned AND is 6 months then you can start weaning in accordance with government guidelines

Lee00 Wed 22-Oct-08 13:51:04

he is only 4 months old? where do i find the signs that lulu mentioned?

veryhairybabygirl Wed 22-Oct-08 17:13:54

I know hands in mouth from very early on is a sign for wanting to be fed but not solids!!!???

DD did this till she was about 8 wks old then did it all the time (very confusing)! Think she was just exploring, then became very dribbly so put it down to teething esp when she was going mad at biting toys!

Exploring and teething when they're older I'd say.

theSuburbanDryad Wed 22-Oct-08 17:16:53

Lee - when he is older. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now