Talk

Advanced search

sorry to ask but if ds isn't ready to wean by 6 months do I just carry on only bf until he's ready?

(9 Posts)
MadameCheese Fri 19-Sep-08 13:28:40

So, I foolishly thought he was ready at 17 weeks (he wasn't) as you guys put me straight . He's perfectly satisfied by bf at 24 weeks but 6 months is looming and I'm not sure what to do...

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Sep-08 13:33:00

Yup.

My ds2 wasn't interested in solids until about 8.5m. I kept giving him tastes of solids from about 6m, he'd sometimes take a few mouthfuls, or maybe gnaw on a bit of fingerfood, but he clearly was not bothered about it and was not hungry for it. When he was ready, he ate. Not that he's ever been a particularly big eater, despite being a big child. More of a grazer, really. Whereas dd was taking food from our plates at 5.5m, and has been keen on her food and a steady eater ever since.

Remember, the average child is ready for weaning at 6m - your child is not an average child, he's uniquely himself. smile

MadameCheese Fri 19-Sep-08 13:36:28

aaw thanks PC

MadameCheese Fri 19-Sep-08 14:29:33

more advice though pleeeeease...

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 14:34:23

I read somewhere, may have been something to do with WHO that 6 months is bang on, leaving it longer can also effect them... but I am not sure how accurate/researched that info was, but I am 90% sure it was from a good source because I took notice of it at the time. Have you thought about BLW? Takes the guess work out IMO, because they can't/won't eat until they are ready whereas a baby of as young as 4 months can swallow puree.

Beachcomber Fri 19-Sep-08 14:44:20

Take your lead from your baby and don't stress it.

My first started solids bang on six months, she just reached out for food and started eating it.

DD2 however didn't really have anything at all apart from BM and the odd bit of fruit until well past a year. She didn't start to eat more than a few mouthfuls before 18 months. We swung from worrying a little to going 'she's fine, she'll eat when she's ready'.

Now at two years old she eats most things but in small portions.

If you are breastfeeding then you don't need to worry, you baby is getting all they need and will tell you when they want something else. I spoke to a BF councillor about DD2 as I was a bit concerned. She said it was fine (as long as there are no weight issues) and actually quite common. She said the six months thing is much exagerated and applies much more to FF babies.

puffylovett Fri 19-Sep-08 14:53:49

yes yes yes
let him tell you when he's ready. I wiash I'd waited longer - even though we BLW'd, he wasn't really ready till about 8 months, I just bowed to pressure and worried for 2 months.

I think someone expressed a concern that not chewing can hinder their speech development - that was addressed on a few threads quite recently I think, as a load of bollocks rubbish.

go with the flow MmeCheese !

Beachcomber Fri 19-Sep-08 15:07:34

Hah! LOL at speech development bollocks notion.

DD2 who couldn't be arsed chewing until she was about 18 months now talks the hind leg of a donkey at 2 years old. Oh and she does it in two languages cos we live in France.

Sheesh what will they come up with next for us mothers to worry over.

MadameCheese Fri 19-Sep-08 23:50:39

Thank you everyone, advice taken, I'll let him decide and won't stress it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now