Talk

Advanced search

Butter at 5 months?!

(19 Posts)
frans Wed 17-Sep-08 12:09:00

I just looked at Annabelle Karmel's website and saw a recipe for butternut squash which includes butter. She said that it's suitable from 5 months. Really?? I though dairy products shouldn't be introduced before 6 months at the earliest.

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 12:14:34

Nothing should really be introduced before 6mo, least of all dairy and gluten. AK knows nothing, she has not nutritional training whatsoever. Take her advice with a very large pinch of salt.

poshtottie Wed 17-Sep-08 12:31:10

All her first foods are from 6 months. Could you do a link? I couldn't see it.

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 12:31:25

please remember that the AK books were written BEFORE the new regulations re weaning at 6 months.

poshtottie Wed 17-Sep-08 12:33:51

I see what you mean. Its a bit confusing when the recipies say in the section 6-9 months, then at the bottom say suitable from 5 months. hmm

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 12:35:09

how old is your LO?

YOu can just do a squash on its own you know. I have one in the fridge while i psych myself up to peel the fecker (they are my nemesis with a blunt peeler lol!)

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 12:36:42

MoM, bung it in the oven then scoop/cut out the flesh when it's cooked. Much less sweat than peeling.smile

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 12:44:28

blush hadn't thought of roasting it! in my defence we have moved house recently and the oven here actually works properly and its taking some time to get used to!

(how long does it need to be in for? and would i need to cut it in half first?<wonders whether the crappy knives are up to the taskhmm>)

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 12:47:25

Best to cut it in half first, not least because you risk being torched with a blast of hot air and steam if you do it afterwards.

I couldn't tell you how long for, I just used to stick a knife in after about half an hour and leave it longer if necessary.

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 12:48:39

I used to buy then already cut in halfblush apart from that one time I nearly lost my eyebrowsblushblush.

Have you got a machete?

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Sep-08 12:48:42

AK knows nothing.

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 12:54:09

LOL @ machete!!!!!

will let you know how i get on

sorry, hijacked a little there

frans Wed 17-Sep-08 15:25:33

Hi all, thanks for comments and suggestions. link is: http://www.annabelkarmel.com/age-range/babies-6-9-months/recipes/homemadeweaning_recipe_butternuts quash
DD is 24 weeks and very ready so just starting her off very gently with a few tasters

pudding25 Wed 17-Sep-08 21:13:20

Prick the butternut squash and then put it in the microwave for about 10 mins. It is then quite easy to peel.

littleducks Wed 17-Sep-08 21:19:04

The information bit is all cr*p, 6 minutes prep time to peel and cube a butternut squash and a carrot, as if?

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 21:24:35

i tried roasting mine earlier...omfg what a palaver! Well first of all the knife got stuck! Then i forgot it was in the oven until i smelled burning-luckily it was just the bit of the stalk. decided to take it out and i must admit it was softer but bits were still hard so i shoved it all back in the colling oven (unpeeled), took it out when i came back from the school run and it was still hard! ended up pureeing it with a lot of whole milk!!!

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 21:30:47

Blimey, what heat did you have it on? I usually put it at the bottom of the oven at a sort of medium heat and drizzle with a bit of oil (no idea if this actually helps but it stops it drying out). Was it a big'un? I must admit I have more experience with pumpkins as that's what's available here, maybe the bnut squash is somewhat tougher?blush

MerlinsBeard Wed 17-Sep-08 21:34:00

250blush

i never thought of drizzling oil on to stop it drying out!

Oh well, its done now. I only had one because it came in my veg box, i remember it being a nightmare when ds2 was weaning 3 years ago!!

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 21:49:15

I usually use mine for risottos and stuff, never used it as weaning food as it was too much of a faff. Carrots are just as good and much less hasslesmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now