Talk

Advanced search

Am I being too precious about salt?

(33 Posts)
HensMum Sun 14-Sep-08 14:39:32

DS is 11 months old. He's a great eater and I make all his food. I want to get him eating more of what we eat but I always freak out about salt. For example, I made a dish with gnocchi, mushrooms, spinach and cheese which I intended to give him some off, then I read the gnocchi packet and thought they might be too salty. I made a pie using ready made pastry but didn't give him any because I thought there might be too much salt.

I overheard a mum at clinic saying she gave her twins, who looked about 8 months, pesto. The HV said "oh that's great, just give them what you have and you'll be surprised what they'll eat" and I was sat there thinking "pesto is too salty, surely" shock

So, am I freaking out too much?

SmugColditz Sun 14-Sep-08 14:54:10

yes you are.

pinkspottywellies Sun 14-Sep-08 15:00:27

Yes you are a bit!! I never add salt to food and don't give her particularly salty things regularly but for the amount they eat at that age a little bit of pastry or gnocci once or twice a week won't overload them.

pinkspottywellies Sun 14-Sep-08 15:02:52

Having said that, if you'd rather keep it out of his diet a bit longer it's up to you and you shouldn't let anyone else influence you.

misdee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:04:25

a little bit yes.

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 14-Sep-08 15:10:50

Yes you are. Don't add any salt to their food, and don't use it to cook. DS loves pesto and always has. If you are worried, then balance it out. Maybe one day give pesto and then something low in salt the next day.
It's all about balance.

YumeeMumee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:11:04

I agree that it's up to you....if you'd rather keep it out of his diet then do so.

We're trying to keep chocolate out of our DS's diet for as long as poss along with fizzy drinks/juice....I figure that DS will have enough time to stock up on that kind of stuff when he gets older and has more control over his diet. Until then I will continue controlling his diet!

HensMum Sun 14-Sep-08 15:14:16

Yeah, I thought I was! grin Well, that's opened up a whole new world of food to DS then, thanks.

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 14-Sep-08 15:16:28

YEs, YM< but there is a difference between witholding chocolate and not giving home made bleeding gnocchi!! "That kind of stuff", imo does not apply to home baked gnocchi, pastry or pasta pesto of any kind! Hardly the same.

YumeeMumee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:32:40

mmm...must read my post again as I realise that I'd compared chocolate and gnocchi LLPJ shock Not that "reading the salt content on the packet" constitutes home-made in my mind but there you go.

I was merely saying that IMO if you want to restrict something then do so - I then went on to say that I was doing the same with chocolate. So my point was about restricting something if you feel the need to do so NOT about comparing actual foods.

YumeeMumee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:34:25

Meant to say that I DIDN'T realise that I'd compared chocolate to gnocchi...which upon reading my post again....I haven't?!

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 14-Sep-08 15:42:02

MAybe I should read again as well grin

OP did say "i make all his food"...so when she said about the gnocchi I assumed it was home made. Have reread and she did mention the packet. Mind you, if I had gone to the trouble of making bleeding gnocchi, I would be too knackered to think about the salt grin

YumeeMumee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:44:25

LLPJ grin me too!

HensMum Sun 14-Sep-08 16:01:51

Just to confirm - gnocchi was from Sainsbos. Recipe did tell you to make it yourself but life is too short for making gnocchi grin

Tinkjon Mon 15-Sep-08 13:55:31

I don't think you are being precious - too much salt IS bad for babies, simple as that!

megcleary Mon 15-Sep-08 19:08:59

am having salt obsession myself i check how much in slice of bread and then had a tiny panic when i rralised there was sodium content in egg so empathise with you oodles but have bugger all advice sorry just wanted you to know you are not alone grin

SmugColditz Mon 15-Sep-08 19:58:33

Too much salt is bad for babies, but too much neuroticism is worse.

likessleep Mon 15-Sep-08 21:18:19

I am a bit of a salt-a-phobic too. You're definitely not alone. I am trying to be more balanced grin

pudding25 Tue 16-Sep-08 09:02:19

I was talking to MIL about the kind of food dd can eat when I do start weaning her. I don't eat meat so mil said she could make some meat dishes. I mentioned about how she should not have any salt. MIL said' didnt do my children any harm, they won't eat it if it is tasteless'.

AAAAAH.

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 09:09:12

we don't have much salt but that's because i don't like the taste of it.

i make both pastry (unless it's filo or puff cos they are a pita to make)and pesto without salt. however we do have shop bought bread which is both salt and sugar in.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 16-Sep-08 09:10:55

Haven't read thread, just OP. But in a word. Yes.

taipo Tue 16-Sep-08 09:20:05

Probably yes.

I was really surprised at a recent trip to the doctor though. I mentioned that dd had been complaining of leg pains and the doc said that it could be cramps and that I should make sure that she eats plently of salty snacks in the hot weather. My mum always used to say this too but it seemed to go against everything I'd read about how bad salt is for you.

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 09:28:17

you can be too precious though. i mean even bananas and milk contain some sodium!!

i just try to avoid most ready made stuff, i don't add salt when i cook, nuts (except for almonds - they are sodium free), ham/bacon/salami/pepperoni etc and we don't eat much bread or cheese. i buy both unsalted butter (for cooking and sandwiches cos you can't taste it) and salted butter (for putting on plain bread/toast)

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 09:29:27

oh and we don't eat too many eggs either.

FourArms Tue 16-Sep-08 09:42:08

Bananas are great for leg cramps taipo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now