Talk

Advanced search

Please help - 9 month old DS refusing food

(2 Posts)
SebbysMum Sat 13-Sep-08 20:53:39

My nearly 9 month old DS has never been hugely into food but seems to be getting worse by the day. He's not scared of food and seems willing to give things a try but tends to eat very little. He regularly has bad food days where we fall back on small amounts of safe (finger) foods because he's rejected other things

The last two days he has eaten next to nothing. I would estimate that his food intake over each of these days has been less than most babies his age would eat in one meal.

He has 3 milk feeds a day – 2 BF and, since last week, one bottle (only because he'd lost all interest in daytime BF).

What do I do? Apart from a slight cold he seems well enough. He is a highly active child and his calorie intake cannot possibly be adequate at the moment.

How long should I give his food refusal before I ask a professional? Should I try to give him more milk in lieu of food?

I should say that he is slim and small and has very little fat to fall back on in times of self imposed famine.

Advice would be really appreciated

runnervt Sat 13-Sep-08 21:19:18

I wouldn't worry too much. As a comparison my ds wasn't interested in solids at all until he was about 11 months - he just had milk (was probably on about 3/4 bf a day). I have heard that 'food is for fun until they're one' and that most of their calories should come from milk at your ds's age.
Could he be teething? I would keep offering the solids but maybe also offer more milk to see if he wants it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now