Talk

Advanced search

Water intake?

(10 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Thu 11-Sep-08 20:35:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nopainnogain Thu 11-Sep-08 20:49:10

As a general rule I think babies this age get most of the liquid they need from their milk and they drink water as and when they need it. So I would bear this in mind. I find the top of a baby bottle is better than a doidy or spouted cup for young babies though - not one of the wide ones but a tall very narrow one.

For constipation, try plenty of vegetables in diet and prunes - either cook dried ones or liquidise a few canned prunes and maybe add to yoghurt to improve taste ; )

BeachBunni Thu 11-Sep-08 20:55:47

Open cup?? I give my ds his water either out of our glass or a shot glass. He hates those spouty ones and would rather chew it.

I was a bit worried about that age drinking no water as my ds didn't either and my hv said they don't really need any if it's not hot - they get enough from the milk/fruit and veg. Thi was backed up by dp's friend who is an father, ex soldier and gym instructer

TarkaLiotta Thu 11-Sep-08 21:37:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGabster Fri 12-Sep-08 10:22:15

Pear (puree or sticks of really ripe) seem to do it for my DS. Not sure if that is a universal one or not?

We also had problems with water, not so much getting it in but getting it to stay in (reflux puky baby) but I do know where you are coming from. MN'ers advised me to give the runnier purees/more watery things like corgette, pear, apple etc and it seemed to help.

julietbat Fri 12-Sep-08 12:06:41

My 6 month DD wouldn't drink from anything but my breast! I was worried that when she started at nursery and therefore dropped daytime bf she'd get dehydrated. We had no luck with bottles but by giving her a tommy tippee first cup (with spout) after every solid feed and letting her play with it we eventually got her drinking water. It took a few weeks with her spitting it out in disgust to begin with! But she got there in the end. And we've also been worried about constipation but have found pureed pear, peaches and prunes work really well. And although I wouldn't want to eat prunes on their own, she has no problems with it! And courgettes are good for getting water in her during her feed - hv said if you give lots of watery fruit and veg that contributes more than you'd realise to their fluids. Good luck with the water - constipation is horrible for them isn't it? I hate watching her getting distressed with really hard poos

pamelat Sat 13-Sep-08 19:53:42

I drink water from a beaker, DD sees it and wants it, so we share the beaker - taking it in turns. Otherwise she isn't interested.

HZA Mon 27-Oct-08 02:08:23

Thank God for MumsNet! My 6.5 month old isn't drinking water or diluted juice either, and I was worried about it specially since he now has a cold. But I will now try the watery fruit n veg. What a relief to find this thread!

HolidaysQueen Fri 31-Oct-08 11:21:16

My 7mo is exactly like this. He is teething and I've been wondering if that has something to do with him not drinking water as he may not like the feel of plastic in his mouth, so maybe that is what is affecting your DD as well. I'm hoping he starts taking on water once this second tooth has come through.

Prunes work a treat - fortunately they are one of DS's favourite things so he has prune yoghurt pretty much every day at the moment to keep things moving! As someone else said, I think pear does the same.

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 11:27:15

My DS is 14 months and drinks maybe 2 or 3 sips of water a day. Not interested in anything but milk. will drink from the dog's bowl though, so maybe he's getting more than I think?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now