Talk

Advanced search

Weaning at 4 months

(12 Posts)
chatname Wed 10-Sep-08 14:41:27

I got Adam weighed today - he's 15 weeks and doing nicely - he grew slowly in the early weeks, followed the 9th centile but is up to the 25th centile now. Exclusively breastfed. The nurse seemed quite keen to push that we should start to think of weaning at 17 weeks.

I said, having read a lot of MN threads, but there's more calories in breast milk than carrot puree. She said, some babies need solid food earlier.

When I last got Adam weighed 2 weeks ago, the nurse then was pushing for earlier weaning too. But the official advice is now 6 months, I said. Both the nurses said that if you wait till 6 months you have to "rush the stages" of getting baby used to solid food in different varieties.

Do they have a point? I haven't seen the "rushed stages" argument anywhere else.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 10-Sep-08 14:43:19

rushing the stages suggests there is an end date that you have to have introduced food by and I don't think I have ever heard of one.

go with your gut - he is growing well on your milk dont' do anything until you are ready to.

AnarchyAunt Wed 10-Sep-08 14:45:35

No they are talking shit.

At six months, a baby is more ready for solid food and so it can be introduced faster. They can be given fingerfood straightaway - BLW. This is not the same as 'rushing the stages'.

Ask them for their evidence.

bookthief Wed 10-Sep-08 14:49:33

No. I waited until 6 months and then just started as if I'd been weaning from 4 (ie skipped the 2 puree months and straight on to finger foods/mashed foods.)

No rush. Just feeding him without faffing about with seives and blenders and icecube trays and baby rice smile

mamusia Fri 12-Sep-08 14:08:03

I had that situation with DS, he was light and was advised to wean at 4 mnths - he only menaged a teaspoon of purre a day . today 5 y old still eats v liittle but healthy. DD oposite - very heavy, always hungry, now 4,5mnths and I was advised to wait till she is 6, but I'm sure she would be happy to eat solids today I think u should do what u think is best

TheGabster Sat 13-Sep-08 12:52:59

Just do what you think is best. IMO, HVs are there to advise you to best of their knowledge/experience but it is ultimately your decision and responsibility. Don't be pressured.

OK, so maybe if you leave it till 6 months you have to keep a good pace of introducing new foods and all that, but surely better that than start too early and cause damage?! hmm I'm sure you will still have enough time to do right by your LO.

So ditto above - do what you think/know to be best wink

lulumama Sat 13-Sep-08 12:57:55

they are talking utter, utter rubbish

he is clearly gaining weight if he has moved up to the 25th centile.

your baby is showing no signs of needing solid food, keep doing what you are doing !

beansprout Sat 13-Sep-08 12:58:26

We now know that babies digestive systems are not ready for food until around 6 months. You can get pureed food into them earlier than this but it does not mean that they are ready for food.

There is no such thing as the "stages". Ds2 is nearly 8 months and is still not really interested in food and that's fine. smile

lulumama Sat 13-Sep-08 13:01:37

somes signs of readiness for solid food are :

sitting unaided

loss of tongue thrust reflex

being able to pick up food, chew and swallow

waking more in the night, feeding more and weight gain slowing are not signs

Bumperlicious Sat 13-Sep-08 13:04:59

WTF are they talking about "rushed stages"? There is absolutely no need to wean your DS early. They should be saying "food is fun until they are one". There is no pressure to certain foods in them. Follow your instinct.

MrsJamin Sun 14-Sep-08 10:02:02

Also what's wrong with rushed stages? It's quite fun going fast to normal meals!

HensMum Sun 14-Sep-08 14:19:09

The good thing about waiting until 6 months is that you can give your baby anything so you can do it totally at their pace. I started with purees, added lumps when I thought DS could handle it, same with finger foods. No need to rush at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now