Talk

Advanced search

stupid question about toast

(16 Posts)
noolia Tue 09-Sep-08 15:22:07

What sort of bread should I use? DD is 6 months and been trying to blw for a fortnight. We usually have granary bread but the seeds seem a bit of choking hazard. Also isn't bread full of salt?

StealthPolarBear Tue 09-Sep-08 15:25:17

ds loves the seedy stuff, they'll be a bit small to be a hazard won't they?
if so, could just use wholemeal

MrsJamin Tue 09-Sep-08 15:39:48

white is meant to be better to begin with as wholemeal/brown is too fibrous and might bung them up.
I make my own bread with a breadmaker so I don't worry about how much salt DS eats. <looks for medal>

Overmydeadbody Tue 09-Sep-08 15:44:37

It doesn't actually have that much salt in it, to be honest, but varies depending on what variety you buy.

As MrsJamin said, babies shouldn't have high fibre diets but the occasional soldier of grannary bread isn't going to do any hard.

I would imagine the seeds are too small to choke on.\they will go straight through though, without being digested!!

Aitch Tue 09-Sep-08 15:47:28

yep, if you're composting your nappies then you can get a right little forest going...

just be sensible about salt intake at this stage. if you're giving loads of bread, no cheese that day, get used to unsalted butter, that sort of thing. smile

purpleflower Tue 09-Sep-08 15:48:59

Seedy bread used to upset DS's tummy.

The seeds definitely came back out whole.

StealthPolarBear Tue 09-Sep-08 15:55:56

nice to have you back on the weaning threads Aitch!

Aitch Tue 09-Sep-08 15:57:58

it's a relief to BE back...

now am off to breast and bottle feeding for some help. if you know anything about galactologues, come along.

likessleep Tue 09-Sep-08 15:59:59

I always avoid seeded bread cos of sesame seeds - not sure if unfounded?

StealthPolarBear Tue 09-Sep-08 16:05:34

Nothing I'm afraid - in fact if it weren't for the context I'd say it was a dinosaur

Aitch Tue 09-Sep-08 16:06:53

RAAAAAH! i'm a galactologosaurus.

Caz10 Tue 09-Sep-08 21:48:06

aitch i was a galactologosaurus for several months too! grin

will try to find the thread!!

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 09:53:56

bread does have salt in but it's one of those things you can't really avoid unless you make your own.

i just try to avoid most ready made stuff, i don't add salt when i cook, nuts (except for almonds - they are sodium free), ham/bacon/salami/pepperoni etc and we don't eat much bread, cheese or eggs. i buy both unsalted butter (for cooking and sandwiches cos you can't taste it) and salted butter (for putting on plain bread/toast)

JFly Tue 16-Sep-08 09:59:43

I've started making my own bread in anticipation of LO weaning in the next few weeks. We don't eat loads of it, so it's not that much of a faff to do once a week. It's actually really easy, even without a bread machine. I use this Delia recipe and cut the salt in half to 1tsp. I also grease the non-stick tin with olive oil instead of butter. I find it makes one good medium-sized loaf, rather than two small ones.

And, it's tasty! A good crust on it and nice and dense, but not too heavy. I'm hoping DS enjoys it once we get going on bread.

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 10:17:20

you can actually make your own bread without salt but you might not think it tastes as good.

noolia Tue 16-Sep-08 11:43:13

The problem with making our own bread is that it is so yummy dh and I will eat too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now