Talk

Advanced search

A tip for reluctant eaters!

(4 Posts)
Tinkjon Tue 09-Sep-08 12:15:40

DS never eats very much if he's in his highchair but lately I've been giving him his food whilst he's crawling around and he eats loads that way! I just pop bits of toast, sandwich, cheese, what-have-you, in his mouth and he loves it - even comes back for more! I think he gets bored with sitting in his highchair and just wants to get up to play, so he doesn't miss out on anything this way. He's just eaten an entire slice of eggy bread when he'd only have 2 or 3 bits in his highchair. It's helpful for me too, as I can be getting on with things whilst he's eating, instead of having to sit at the table with him. Not the most sociable way of eating, of course, and not sure about the long-term message it sends, but just thought I'd mention it

RuthChan Tue 09-Sep-08 17:41:31

Most children are much happier fed on the move and while playing.
However, but careful, you will find you have a battle on your hands if you ever want him to sit down and quietly eat a meal at the table. Restaurants, for example, will become a problem.

Most children fight eating in a chair at some point, but it is often better to find other ways around it.

Have you tried allowing him to choose his own bowl, cutlery etc? That can work.
My DD has recently started eating better because I removed the table part of her high chair and allowed her to eat at the same table as the rest of us.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 09-Sep-08 17:43:05

I'd let him self feed, but feeding him on the move sounds like a recipe for big messes, and (sorry) choking hazards, if he were to trip or fall while eating.

Tinkjon Tue 09-Sep-08 18:38:03

Actually, he loves eating in restaurants and is really well-behaved - I think because there are other things to look at there. He's far too young to understand the concept of choosing a bowl etc...

As for messes, I'm not talking about giving him lasagne! I just mean toast, or something like that. I suppose you're right about choking hazards though, so I take back my recommendation for it in that case, but it's not anything that worries me. He's not running around or anything (he can't even walk!), I wouldn't give him food then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now