Talk

Advanced search

24 weeks but can't sit - what do you think?

(9 Posts)
Shooflypie Mon 08-Sep-08 13:26:29

So DS is avidly interested in our food and trying to grab it etc.

BUT he is not able to sit on his own, which I thought was one of the indicators that they were ready to start solids? He can do short bursts before starting to list.

Also - for the last three nights running he has fed ALL NIGHT. Last night I actually counted and it was nine times shock. He had been sleeping through for weeks, prior to this.
I've heard conflicting things about this - some people have said it is a definite sign of needing solids, others have said not and they will get more calories from BM anyway.

What do you reckon? Sorry to be pathetic - it feels like a huuuge step and I don't want to muck up his digestive system by doing it too early etc etc.

crokky Mon 08-Sep-08 13:29:50

my 24 wk old has also fed 6-8 times for the last 3 nights. She can't sit either. Will watch with interest!!

Sidge Mon 08-Sep-08 13:34:22

How well does he sit with slight support, eg in a padded, close fitting highchair, or in a Bumbo?

I would expect some listing at his age, but if he can sit quite solidly with support and isn't slumped or twisted then he could use his arms.

You could ride out the night feeding for a couple of weeks and see how he goes (it might be a phase) or if he is otherwise sitting quite well you could offer some finger food.

beansprout Mon 08-Sep-08 13:34:29

sounds like a growth spurt to me.

lulumama Mon 08-Sep-08 13:35:01

has he lost the tongue thrust reflex? has he got a good pincer grip? able to grab something and get it to his mouth? those are also good indicators he is pyhsically ready.. sounds like a growth spurt too, and lots more milk os far more filling than a bit of food. can he go in a highchair and play with some food and if he can get it to his mouth, chew and swallow it , he is probably ready !

VictorianSqualor Mon 08-Sep-08 13:40:28

Apparently it's not the pincer grip but the fist grip that is needed for BLW.
If you really really want to try, put him in a high chair with some steamed carrot batons.
If he is ready, he'll eat it, if not he won't.
And by eat, I mean chew, not suck.
WRT sitting, it doesn't have to be totally unaided as in sit up on the floor alone, but sat up with slight assistance, so sat in a high chair upright not leaning on the backrest is said to be enough.
Have the daytime naps changed at all?
My DS2 started waking constantly every 45 minutesshock at night for the last week or two when I finally decided it couldn't be a growth spurt.
After joining a thread about sleep at 6 months I started giving him longer more consistent naps and he has gone straight back to his old routine.
Other than that it could be a growth spurt.

Shooflypie Mon 08-Sep-08 14:52:50

VS - aha! I think you have put your finger on it - my poor, dear MIL is very ill and for the last 2 weeks we have been at the hospital so DS's nap patterns are all over the place compared to normal.
It was the voracious sucking that made me think hunger, but he is definitely getting less day time sleep/poorer quality as it is in the buggy.

Sitting - pretty good with slight support, pincer quite good I think, don't know about tongue thrust.

I had been planning to go a little over 6 mo, to be on the safe side then do food is for fun.

(Blimey I feel like an exceedingly wizzened zombie today smile).

VictorianSqualor Mon 08-Sep-08 20:43:34

Apparently if they don't get enough sleep in the day they get fatigued and unable to continue to sleep after one sleep cycle (Which lasts 45 minutes, so after 45 minutes they wake up and can't go back to sleep, hence the feeding.)

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 10:15:06

we used to prop ds up with a blanket in his highchair before he could sit unsupported. however he sat at 9 months and ate at 10 months so i think there is some connection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now