Talk

Advanced search

interested to hear how everyone cut down on mil during weaning,

(12 Posts)
tyaca Sun 07-Sep-08 21:04:26

dd is six mo. been playing around with food for a couple of weeks have started to think about giving her solids in a more formal b/fast, lunch, tea kind of way. the last couple of days thats gone well - havent reduced milk and she seems to have an incredible appetite for both. so what next? she is drinking 5 x 7oz milk and eating 3 meals and to be honest as much as anything i feel like her whole waking day is spent filling her ever growing tummy grin.

interested to hear how other people dropped milk feeds. i was thinking of reducing the size of the bottles (other than the first and last of each day), but now i tempted to drop one altogether right now. oh, im nervous. and pfb. and out of touch with HVs.

tia

Bubble99 Sun 07-Sep-08 21:06:34

Good lord!

I read that as cutting down on the mother-in-law.

I certainly wouldn't like my MIL (although she is a love) lurking around during weaning.

FabioBadAssCat Sun 07-Sep-08 21:07:47

that is the most disturbling thread title i have ever read and i include everything fairyfly ever posted

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 21:07:59

pmsl so did I bubble99.

TheProvincialLady Sun 07-Sep-08 21:08:19

I never felt the need to cut down on my mother in law during weaningwink

If she is eating well and drinking the milk she must need it for now. Milk is where her real calories and nutrients are coming from still so you need to offer as much really if she will take it. I am guessing she is still on the vegetables/fruit/baby rice type diet? If so it is very low calorie and so it is no wonder she still wants her milk.

You will find that she gradually starts cutting down her milk of her own accord - she will stop finishing her bottles. I would be led by her for a long time yet. I do remember the stage of feeling you never stop feeding them in some form or another but it does calm down eventually honest!

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Sep-08 21:08:55

shock why would you want to cut down on your mother in law whilst weaning-unless she tries to wean on fruitshots etc?

wessexgirl Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:17

Lol at cutting down on MIL grin.

I'd echo what ProvincialLady said - I offered my dds as much milk as they wanted until they, er, stopped wanting it. They did gradually begin to drink less and less as they felt fuller.

FinalFurlong Sun 07-Sep-08 23:38:23

well i told MIL that the reason DH has IBS is because she weaned him on chocolate cake at 6 weeks. That sure cut her down. lol
Seriously, i think what the Provinciallady and wessexgirl said is bang on.

tyaca Tue 09-Sep-08 08:58:58

ah feck - just logged on to see what helpful tips MNers had responded with and i now i see my typo.

mil not the prob - dd only has limited amounts of mil anyway. tbh she's had no adverse reaction to date so am considering upping the volumn to once a month plus special occasions.

tyaca Tue 09-Sep-08 09:03:46

oooh, and back on topic. i have a bit of beef stew i took out the pot yesterday before i added salt for me and dh. its all harmless stuff and i was just going to mash the veg in it for dd's lunch. but i also saved one small bit of beef. can i mash that in too? a teensy tiny amount? she's only had bits of white fish to date (protein-wise i mean, obvs i havent weaned her on an exclusive diet of wite fish)

TheProvincialLady Tue 09-Sep-08 11:51:27

Yes you can give her pretty much anything except honey as she is over 6m.

HensMum Tue 09-Sep-08 16:16:55

DS happily had 5 bottles plus 3 meals a day for a while. He had one bottle after his lunch and started to take less and less of this so I dropped that first and gave him pudding instead (usually yogurt to make up for the reduction in milk)
Then he happily had 4 bottles a day - drained them all so I had to force the issue a bit and dropped the mid-morning one and replaced with a snack and drink of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now