Talk

Advanced search

Advise please - is it an allergic or too early reaction?

(6 Posts)
mylittlemonsters Sat 06-Sep-08 20:01:43

I started to wean my little one last week and I thought he was clearly ready. He loved the baby rice. Just added in pear and the last two nights he has screamed the house down before bed and dh says he has some little spots on his tummy (no worries it is not meningitis!).

Rubbing his tummy and cycling his legs clearly helps, but he has also not had a poo today (normally 1 a day).

Is this just his system getting used to it or is he allergic to pear?

Any views or further questions welcome

savoycabbage Sat 06-Sep-08 20:05:55

My dd is allergic to peanuts. When we went to the hospital the doctor told us that all allergic reactions were immediate. Also, for peanuts, I don't know if it is the same for other things, the first reaction you would get would be at the place the food had touched, so on your baby's lips I imagine.

So it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction to me.

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Sep-08 20:07:34

How old is he?

For what it's worth, pear (along with rice) is one of the foods with very littel history of causing allergic reactions in people. One of the reasons pears and rice are often recommended as first foods.

Sounds like he's constipated.

Seona1973 Sat 06-Sep-08 20:09:25

how old is he and when are you giving the solids? (i.e. what time of day). Are you offering extra water along with the solids too?

mylittlemonsters Sat 06-Sep-08 20:13:52

I am breastfeeding so not offering extra water (lots of books say you don't need to) but I def could try that.

He is 23 weeks old and I started last Sunday.

I give him solids at 11.30 - midday

and

5pm - 6pm

By those times he's had breast milk about an hour before.

Seona1973 Sat 06-Sep-08 20:19:20

baby rice can be constipating so a little extra fluids (whether extra breastmilk or some water out of a cup) would not go amiss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now