Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Refusing to be fed from a spoon - need new ideas please!

(5 Posts)
custard1 Thu 04-Sep-08 18:12:11

Help!

My 9 month old refuses (with many tears and shouting from her) to eat anything savoury from a spoon. I have given finger foods since she started on solids, but now need new options on how to give her a complete meal that she can feed herself with her hands.

I have tried to give her a spoon, but she still shakes her head when I try to feed her. Oh and she will accept food from a spoon at nursery and eats all her food there. What is that all about!!!!

Thanks

MrsJamin Thu 04-Sep-08 18:59:05

It's really common for 8/9 MO babies to refuse the spoon when previously they were happy to eat from it. For 'complete meal' I give 8 MO DS:

toad in the hole with steamed veg
omelette with lots of veg, cheese
fish finger & steamed veg
tuna pasta & philly
etc

lunches are generally toast/bread/pitta/bagel with something on with tomato, cucumber, cheese, fruit...

He doesn't have pincer grip yet but when he gets it you can pretty much go onto normal meals as they can pick up non-chunky bits like peas.

Habbibu Thu 04-Sep-08 19:00:22

Lots of useful ideas on www.babyledweaning.com - practically anything can be eaten with hands, if you can cope with the mess.

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 19:02:14

Sounds like BLW is the way to go. Just give her her food, whatever it is, put a spoon in front of her incase she wants to use it, and let her get on with feeding herself with her fingers or by any other means she wants.

Problem solved.

Sounds like she may be using it as a way of getting a reaction from you lol

moocowme Sun 07-Sep-08 21:00:36

i used to get bigger pasta shells and stuff them with cream cheese and grated veg. worked very well and he is now back to having a spoon as well as doing some himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now