Talk

Advanced search

Do you offer carbs/starches at every meal?

(3 Posts)
Tinkjon Thu 04-Sep-08 16:44:13

Maybe this should go in food instead of weaning, as DS is going to be 1 next week! Anyway, do you offer starches at every meal? He doesn't eat them very well, apart from pasta, and I don't want to give that at every meal. Lunch today was scrambled egg and avocado - would you have added toast or something as well? I'm sure I read that they're supposed to have 4 servings of starchy carbs a day and we're nowhere near that...

Seona1973 Thu 04-Sep-08 19:55:17

yes my lo's tend to have something starchy at every meal e.g. breakfast is normally cereal or toast, lunch is a sandwich or a roll or a wrap, etc with some fruit and dinner normally has some form of potato or pasta or rice.

alittleteapot Thu 04-Sep-08 20:12:26

Hi, my dd is just over 1. I offer her a carb, protein and veg options at every meal, but she often focuses on just one or two. (ie is in a carb mood or a protein mood etc) I don't think this matters - I've heard it's what they eat across a week that matters - but I do think it's a good idea to offer. So yes, in answer to your question I would have offered toast with that lunch.

I've been trying to offer dd a range of carbs - cous cous, rice, pearl barley etc as it's important at this age to expose them to a wide range of foods so that they are already familiar with them when they get fussy more towards 2.

Having said all this I wouldn't worry if she's leaving things. I really believe they will regulate themselves and it's our job to offer but don't get panicked by supposed daily quotas. And in our house pasta and potatoes do generally win the day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now