Talk

Advanced search

Extreme Constipation.Any ideas?

(6 Posts)
Angel1k1 Thu 04-Sep-08 09:24:19

My DD is 6 months old and on her way to weaning, she's had most fruit and veg allowed, baby porridge and salmon, lentils, beef fillet and chicken at her nursery but since we started weaning she has some extremely hard poo, in the form of pellets and the amount of food coming out is way less than the amount going in.
We also tried to feed more courgettes, overripe bananas, etc but nothing works.
She was bf until 2 months ago as I had to return to work, now she's ff at the nursery. I don't think there's a connection between bf and ff as the constipation started after introducing formula.
She's not a big liquid drinker and when she does it's either formula or other liquids.

Any ideas to get to the bottom of it? She's straggling every time she goes to the loo which is about 1/day.

MrsJamin Thu 04-Sep-08 09:34:56

Someone said on another thread that pureed veg and fruit is much more likely cause constipation than finger food as more is digested than can be handled by a small stomach - perhaps give your DD some sticks of veg etc and lay off the puree for a few days to see if this helps? They don't need a lot of quantity of solids as young as 6 months.

likessleep Thu 04-Sep-08 11:00:25

banana, porridge, baby rice can cause constipation.
could try prunes (pureed up if you like).

Chunkamatic Sat 06-Sep-08 14:08:24

I have a friend who is a GP (and a mum of 3) and she advised to give a couple of teaspoons of unsweetened orange juice. My LO was having a couple of probs one week, as you describe, and i did this - and hey presto it worked. HTH

mylittlemonsters Sat 06-Sep-08 19:54:29

Not sure age they can have it but know Califig worked for my two

TheGabster Sat 06-Sep-08 20:14:13

Pear always seems to work on my DH. Obviously, giving more water is the most desireable thing. But I find a few "fingers" of pear for breakfast and after lunch, and everying is "sorted" (IYKWIM) by the next morning. wink

Good Luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now