Talk

Advanced search

how quickly to introduce new foods?

(3 Posts)
noolia Wed 03-Sep-08 15:03:21

DD turned 6 months and started solids last week. So far she's had carrot, banana and a bit of rice cake. I'm pretty happy about what to feed her and doing a mix of mashed stuff and finger food. She enjoys tasting stuff but only has a teeny amount and hardly swallows anything.

But I have a few first-timer questions and need mn help!
1) At the moment she has lunch - when should I introduce breakfast and supper?
2) Should she have water with her lunch (she is bf)?
3) How soon should I introduce things other than fruit/veg?
3) She has always slept from her 10.30 bed time feed till about 7am but since starting solids she has been waking a couple of times in the night and having a 10 minute feed. What's going on?

thank you!

Elasticwoman Wed 03-Sep-08 16:21:51

1) Not yet, if she's not taking much when you do offer food. Wait till she seems a bit hungrier.
2)Yes - a lidded cup is useful for that.
3)She is not too young for wheat now, and I found ground rice useful. Baby rice is the same thing at more than 10 x the price, with a few vitamins added.
4) Don't know. Not getting enough milk in the day? Teething?

MrsJamin Thu 04-Sep-08 09:40:26

1) If your DD is self-feeding there's nothing wrong with offering food three times a day - she'll take as much as she needs/wants. If you're doing spoon-feeding then I'd go a bit slower as she won't be modifying the quantities herself so much.
2) Virtually every baby I know has the tommee tippee sippy cup - it's a great first cup and my DS is obsessed with it!
3) For wheat, I'd start offering toast - it's the ultimate finger food.
4) As for waking in the night, there's so many reasons why they can regress - my DS did this as well when we started weaning, but it was due to teething. He seemed to want more milk in the day too, they say there's a growth spurt at 6 months so maybe that's the reason?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now