Talk

Advanced search

Going to sound stupid but should I stop 10month DDs afternoon milk???

(18 Posts)
inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:06:08

DD has just turned 10months, she has a 7oz bottle at breakfast and bedtime, she was having a 7oz bottle at lunch time but has been gradually taking less and less. She eats lots of dairy cheese/yoghurt etc should I take the opportunity to cut this bottle? A lot of what I have been reading seems to advise 20oz's but isnt the point of weaning to take them off milk hmm or am I being stupid!!

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:20:15

I have a bottle of milk at the ready!! grin to feed or not to feed ??? smile

Seona1973 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:22:21

my dd and ds went to 2 bottles around 10/11 months. You could try offering a bit less at that feed instead or cut it out and replace with a snack and drink of water. If you have the feed ready then I'd feed it to her and see how much she takes and then use that as your benchmark for how much to make tomorrow i.e. if she takes 4oz then just make up a 4oz bottle tomorrow and then there is less wastage.

Seona1973 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:23:24

p.s. the 20oz includes dairy products and milk with cereal, etc so doesnt all have to be in the form of a drink.

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:24:07

thanks for replying, she has been taking less and less over the last couple of weeks and only took about 3ozs yesterday, I dont think she is bothered at all had a nice big lunch cheese omlette, fruit and water and doesnt seem bothered

Waspie Wed 03-Sep-08 13:24:55

Responses to this will interest me because my 9mo refuses to drink his milk from a beaker in the afternoons which means that he's only having 240ml/16oz a day and I'm not sure whether that is enough to meet the minimum requirements.
He goes to nursery during the day so I don't control what he eats for lunch and tea during the week.

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:28:37

If I stop this bottle she will be getting 14oz's formula but she has lots of dairy cheese, yoghurt cereal with milk so would take it up I guess hmm

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:29:42

should I increase her morning/night time milk to make up for it hmm

TheProvincialLady Wed 03-Sep-08 13:32:08

If she is doing it of her own accord then why intefere? That is what babies do, drop the milk when they are ready. She sounds perfectly normal and if she is having plenty of dairy in other forms then you have nothing to worry about. By all means offer her extra milk in the morning and at night if you likesmile

Waspie Wed 03-Sep-08 13:33:00

My sister's HV told her a pot of yoghurt was worth about 3 or 4 oz of milk if that's helpful!

What I just don't get is that we don't give our babies cows milk as a drink until they are a year old but it seems it's okay to make up to the 20oz daily recommendation by using cheese, yoghurt, milk on cereal etc... and yet that is all based on cow's milk? hmm

JellySnakes Wed 03-Sep-08 13:34:57

My dd did the same thing at about 11 months. She was eating really well and having snacks, and just didn't need the milk too. She was just having morning and evening milk (she still does at 17 months), and she has been fine with that.
If she is gradually cutting out the feed herself, then I would say go with her!

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:37:30

thanks waspie, I didnt realise there was as much in a yoghurt, my DD is vegetarian so eats a lot of dairy and I make cheese sauces etc with cows milk. yeah I agree it doesnt make sense to give cows milk in cereal/dairy product etc but not for a drink hmm confuses the hell out of me grin

TPL I thought so, my dd weaned herself from her night feed and from 5 bottles to 3 and it went fine, this feels right to stop this bottle but was nervouse as so many people almost dont agree with it!!

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 13:38:57

brilliant jellyshakes, that helps I feel confident to go with my gut now, its so much easier for going out and about not having to warm bottles etc!!

TheProvincialLady Wed 03-Sep-08 13:45:22

I think this is one of the areas that bottle feeding children has created problems that would not happen with BF. With BF you would just be confident that the baby was taking whatever milk s/he needed, whereas with bottles because you can see the actual number of oz taken, what started off as an average amount that a baby would take has turned into a guideline for what they should have. Trust your instincts is what I say (and my DS was bottle fed too so I don't mean that to be an anti FF statement BTW).

Waspie Wed 03-Sep-08 13:53:24

Thanks all. Like Inzidoodle I feel better about my ds not drinking his afternoon milk too. I was going to take him to baby clinic to ask the HV's about the afternoon feed but now I don't have to bother grin

LisaLessLumpy Wed 03-Sep-08 15:14:23

My ds 11 months old on Friday is down to two bottles a day approx 8 ounces each bottle. I add cows milk to his weetabix which is about 2 ounces, he will have at least one yoghurt a day and any cheese in food etc and I'll give him some cows milk in a beaker during the day ( he only generally has 1-2 ounces of this though at the most hmm) I am actually stopping the formula once this latest box runs out this week and I'm putting him on to cows milk full time as he eats very well during the day.

inzidoodle Wed 03-Sep-08 15:17:51

HIYA LLL grin thats good to know that Ben is taking about the same amount of milk, I havent given Jane cows milk to drink yet, what age did you start Ben on it? are you just going to cows milk or using a follow on milk??

LisaLessLumpy Wed 03-Sep-08 19:44:19

I've been using follow on milk for the last 3 weeks but am going to just use cows milk once this box runs out which will be mon/tues

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now