Talk

Advanced search

10 month DS grumps through every meal

(6 Posts)
Stefka Tue 02-Sep-08 21:56:28

He grumps as soon as he sees the spoon - in fact before that - as soon as the bib goes on. He grumps all the way through every meal. If I do baby led then he just throws the food on the floor and doesn't eat anything. I can get him to eat only by doing major entertainment (ie prance about kitchen like a total goon) or by distracting him with random items from around the kitchen (pots and spoons etc). Each meal takes at minimum an hour. It's hard work and by tea time I am fed up with it!!

I wasn't so worried about it when I was still breast feeding in the day but now I am not I want to make sure he is getting what he needs (he does breast feed first thing and last thing still).

Is this a stage? Have I done something to make him weird about his food already? I have issues with food myself so am very paranoid about passing anything on to him.

preggersplayspop Tue 02-Sep-08 22:03:40

My DS didn't really take to solids until over he was well over 12mo. I carried on bf as much as he wanted it, and was probably doing 4 feeds a day (and some in the night) until he started at nursery at 11 mo, which is when he started eating solids with any gusto (I think it was seeing other babies eating which finally swung it for him).

Its hard to do, but i would say just try and relax and don't force it and it will come eventually. I definitely wouldn't be trying to entertain him through a meal.

My DS is nearly 16 mo now, and if its any consolation he still regularly chucks his bowl off the table when he's had enough!

Stefka Wed 03-Sep-08 08:18:57

I need to be able to go and do some days of work which is why I stopped feeding in the daytime otherwise I wouldn't be so worried because I know he would be getting what he needed from me. He still feeds morning and night and he does eat some of his food it's just such hard work each time.

I wonder if it is linked in with being tired as tea is the worst meal and breakfast is not too bad.

Stefka Wed 03-Sep-08 08:27:02

Doesn't seem to have an issue eating his pudding either - perhaps he just has a sweet tooth.

likessleep Wed 03-Sep-08 09:00:10

Maybe a silly idea, but try giving him the biggest meal at breakfast, if that is when he is least tired? Doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food does it?
Am sure it will come with time.

FloriaTosca Wed 03-Sep-08 09:24:14

Hi Stefka
If it is any consolation my ds doesnt eat with gusto either and often starts grumping at the sight of the bib or high chair too ...however if he is given something to graze on while playing he is fine (I just have a lot of crumbs to clear up after) and when we all sit down to dinner as a family he is no problem either... distractions, spoons to feed himself and lots of enthusiastic food sharing is the only way I can get him to eat when we are on our own...and for us tiredness has nothing to do with it, on Monday I had friends for dinner, cooked dss portion at 5pm and it took until they sat down at 7pm for him to actually eat it! Must admit though that I dont worry so much because I'm still bfing 3-4 times a day, ok for me as I work from home but understand your concerns.
I'm sure they will both sort themselves out soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now