Talk

Advanced search

9 month old refusing bedtime bottle - any ideas?

(5 Posts)
LolaLadybird Mon 01-Sep-08 22:11:17

DS is 9 mo and has 3 bottles as well as his 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks. He has his last bottle about 6.30/7.00 pm but for the last week, he's not been interested, maybe has 1 oz and then loses interest. Predictably, he then wakes up later in the evening or middle of the night hungry (he's previously been a good sleeper).

I've tried cutting down how much milk he has at his mid-afternoon feed and also, today, fed him slightly less solid food at dinner but it made no difference. He is teething and I read somewhere that it can make sucking painful but, tbh, it doesn't seem to affect his feeding in the day. Just really not enjoying returning to feeding every night having got him out of the habit for months.

DanJARMouse Mon 01-Sep-08 22:12:59

My DS has just turned 9mnths and has done the same!

He has been a bit poorly though, so had put it down to that.

DS usually sleeps 6pm-6.30am but has been waking either at 11pm or 5am, and takes a while to go back to sleep!

LolaLadybird Mon 01-Sep-08 22:31:38

Do you feed him each time he wakes? I give DS however much he didn't drink at bedtime (ie. if he left 4 ozs then I give him that) but I'm wondering if I'm just encouraging the night waking/feeding habit.

simpson Mon 01-Sep-08 23:32:27

Could you move the tea meal forward a bit say 30 mins??

My DD was doing exactly the same although is a bit younger at 7mths. She used to have tea at 5pm but brought it forward to 4.30 and she has more room for bedtime milk iyswim.

LolaLadybird Tue 02-Sep-08 22:00:46

Thanks for your replies. Tonight I tried the earlier tea idea so fed him at 4.30 rather than 5 pm but it made little difference - he still only drank 3 oz of a 7 oz bottle. He then woke at 9 but still only wanted another ounce. He is teething - first tooth v nearly through - so maybe that's got something to do with it, here's hoping. (Bloody teething, just as 3 yo DD gets all her teeth, I've got a 9 mo just getting started!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now