Talk

Advanced search

How to get DS (22mths!) to feed himself with a spoon?

(8 Posts)
min912 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:21:26

He just doesn't really show an interest in picking up a spoon himself - I suspect this is laziness on his part as he knows that if he just sits back and lets us do it he will get more food, quicker!

He does feed himself bread sticks, toast, rice cakes, popcorn etc. so he does have perfectly competent finger control.

I didn't mind so much but now we've had another baby it would really be helpful if he could feed himself at least a bit!

Any suggestions/examples of other DCs doing the same?

hiccymapops Sun 31-Aug-08 21:29:50

I can't help i'm afraid, but i'll watch with interest as my DS who's 24 months is exactly the same! grin We have No2 arriving in December, so i'm hoping my little monster will have improved by then. To be honest i think it's mostly my fault as i've done it too much for him, just to make sure he eats.

Good luck smile

HereComeTheGirls Sun 31-Aug-08 21:31:28

my dd is 22 mos too,and exactly the same, no interest in self-feeding whatsoever!

min912 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:29:10

Ok it's good to know he's not the only one!

min912 Tue 09-Sep-08 20:22:45

Small update - last week he did pick up a spoon, dip it in some food and move it in a mouth-wards direction... MY mouth, not his, but still, a big step in the right direction!!

minniemummy Mon 15-Sep-08 13:34:45

Woooooo hoooooooooooooo - he did it! Over the weekend, I asked if he wanted to hold the spoon and hey presto, he did!
Not so keen on putting it in the food as he doesn't get much on the spoon, so we have agreed on a compromise where I load the spoon, he feeds himself. Not for the whole meal, but a great start and a load off my mind to be honest!

ajm200 Mon 15-Sep-08 13:38:45

We just put cutlery around DS's plate and ignored him if he ate with his fingers. Gradually (from 18 months) he started to show an interest but is lazy and will dump the spoon and whine if he thinks we'll feed him.

To stop this we just fill the spoon and put it back on the plate so that he has to pick it up and put it in his mouth.

At 22 monts, he has days where he wants to eat everything with a fork and days where we have to remind him constantly.

I pick my battles so have been known to serve pasta on a warm day to him in just his nappy, let him eat it how he liked, and dump him in the bath afterwards before nap time..

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 09:52:31

ds is 2.2 and can't really use a spoon very well. he has been doing yoghurt and sticky stuff like porridge since about june (when he turned 2) but peas and cereal are a nightmare. he can use a fork well if i load it up for him but mostly he still uses his fingers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now