Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get GOOD weaning advice?

(20 Posts)
Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 20:23:19

apart from here obviously!!

HV is a muppet, and I'd just like a reliable source of info as to what/when/how much etc.

Are there any really good books on weaning out there? We are mainly doing BLW so don't really want a book that tells me how to puree, more one about the different stages of eating solid foods, nutritional requirements etc...

WilfSell Sat 30-Aug-08 20:25:08

Aitch's blog/website...

think it is www.babyledweaning.com but not quite sure...

google it?

Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 20:31:18

Thanks, yes, I go on there too

I think what I'm after is a "bible" where I can turn to a page and it says "at 8mths they need x y and z" iyswim!

WilfSell Sat 30-Aug-08 20:34:48

OK I see what you mean.

I'm on third weaner now and I just kind of play it by ear. If they can eat it, I let em.

As long as they're getting enough calcium and a teeny bit of protein each day, you'll be fine! After 6 mo, I think they need about a pint of breastmilk or formula and can have yoghurt, cheese etc also. They shouldn't have salt and eggs, peanuts etc aren't recommended if there are allergies.

I dunno, haven't needed a book with these latest babies but seem to remember the DoH 0-5 book had good basic info in?

spicemonster Sat 30-Aug-08 20:39:50

I don't think you need a bible. I did BLW and read that 0-5 book in terms of introducing stuff. I know that there used to be a kind of: week 1 - broccoli. week 2 - banana approach to weaning but I just gave my DS a bit of everything. Formula has loads of added vitamins and if you're bfing, so much the better.

Don't stress it is my advice

cmotdibbler Sat 30-Aug-08 20:50:21

They just need regular food like you eat or should eat smile - plenty of fruit and veg, good portions of protein, and carbs, no added salt as far as poss. They just need to have full fat milk, cheese and yog for the extra calories, which you may not...

Let them choose how much to eat, and you're on a winner

Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:02:53

Thanks all

dd is almost 9mths and I have def skipped the "week 1 - broccoli. week 2 - banana approach", we've just been giving her bits and bobs of everything and she seems to be eating lots. My worry is just that we seem to be stuck at the same stuff as we started with, sticks of veg, fruit, ricecakes etc, and everyone else seems to be talking MEALS!!

MerlinsBeard Sat 30-Aug-08 21:04:23

if you give her sticks of veg, potato and say chicken it would be a meal wink

ruddynorah Sat 30-Aug-08 21:07:38

so what's stopping you doing meals? what did you eat today? could she have had the same?

MrsJamin Sat 30-Aug-08 21:27:30

DS is 8 months this week and I'm forcing myself into doing meals for him rather than 'here's a cucumber stick and a bit of toast' approach. I'm cooking something that he can have a go at for DH and myself in the evening then reheating it for his lunch or dinner the next day, as cooking twice is not fun - well the washing up definitely isn't!

Unfortunately our little ones are all a little too old when the babyled weaning book comes out in november. It's tempting to need to think that weaning is very complex - it was when people did it early but if you wait it's very simple and doesn't need such a considered 'stage' approach. Pity Queen Annabel doesn't agree as it doesn't line her pockets quite so well.

Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:47:30

Yes, the saving it for the next day seems a good idea, as we often have to eat after dd is in bed. Occasionally we have things that she could have, but tonight for example was pizza grin, and dh is big on curries, chilli etc (homemade I hasten to add!). I guess without the spices it is just mince/chicken and veg? We are just not a house for meat and 2 veg type meals.

She is also very determined to feed herself, which is great, but some things would just be so much easier mashed up (she has never done the scoop up handfuls of squidgy stuff thing that you see pics of on Aitch's site, i think she has a thing re funny textures!)

ruddynorah Sat 30-Aug-08 21:50:46

pizza is ok really. and with things like curry etc you can col it down with extra yoghurt, or keep a portion aside before you've added too much to it. so make chilli but keep some mince aside after beans have gone in. nothing wrong with a little spice at all.

Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:10:22

Thanks, I have a slight salt paranoia, which is why she's been having "single" foods all the time, have even dusted off the breadmaker to make own (almost salt free) bread!

Need to lighten up!! grin

MrsJamin Sat 30-Aug-08 22:16:56

I use my breadmaker to make pizza dough - makes brilliant pizza, I make my own tomato sauce from passata, pepper and basil, then you've got a totally homemade pizza - DH reckons it's better than shopbought!

Caz10 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:29:24

Oooh haven't done that for ages MrsJ, it is very very nice isn't it? Much nicer base. I want one of these pizza baking trays from lakeland with the holes in!

Tonight's was a tescos, it was pretty ming tbh, and as I ate it I was thinking that if I hadn't been so lazy, a.i would have had a nicer tea and b.dd could have had some!

MrsJamin Sun 31-Aug-08 07:55:11

Yes I much prefer ours now, another tip is to make twice as much dough & tomato sauce as you need, then freeze them - quick tea in the freezer provided you have some mozzarella and any toppings. Dough freezes really well.

fleacircus Sun 31-Aug-08 08:10:46

Hi Caz10, I hope all is ok and work not too horrendous (we start tomorrow - not happy!).

I was very confused about weaning too and found the Birth to Five book really useful, it has lots of nutritional information, suggestions about finger foods and helped me chill out a lot.

DD is a bit younger than yours - she'll be 8mths tomorrow. DP does the cooking and separates out a portion for her whenever it's at all possible, leaves out spices etc. Then we stick it in the blender (we break it down a bit but so it's lumpy) and she has some the next night and we freeze the rest, we've got a pretty good and varied stock by now to get us through pizza type nights. She also has pieces of bread, cheese, fruit and veg etc to feed herself.

Your HV should have given you the Birth to 5 book but if not you can download it, just search 'Birth to Five NHS'.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 31-Aug-08 08:38:08

fleacircus.....if you look at the babyledweaning info out there; you don't need to be blending food for an eight month old. They are capable of feeding themselves with chunks of food smile. Pasta and sauce is always a good one, with something like spirals that they can get a good hold of.

caz, sounds like you are doing all the right things. Our DD has had a bit of spice from early on, and we mainly cook without salt for ourselves anyway. She has always had the same meals as the rest of the family, although with things like chilli and curries I either cook a separate portion in a little pan for her and DS, or make two curries, one mild and one a bit hotter for DH and I.

And she has always generally fed herself, with a few spoonfuls help from us just to make sure she is getting enough. Now at 14mo sha is using cutlery herself, and successfully for the most part, lol.

Caz10 Sun 31-Aug-08 13:38:33

Oh good luck fleacircus! You have reduced your hours a little haven't you? Hope that helps.

Thanks for mentioning the birth to five - I have downloaded it and it is MUCH more comprehensive than the Scottish equivalent that I got, in the weaning section anyway.

Good tip re the pizza freezing too, thank you!

I never cook with salt anyway, and think I need to get my head round the fact that she can, and will, have SOME - I was trying to be entirely salt-free and it's just not practical or necessary!

I would second the pasta twirls idea - dd is a bit up and down with her food at the mo due to teeth I think, but fusili with soft cheese or grated cheese or veg puree is going down very well!

fleacircus Mon 01-Sep-08 15:37:43

Glad you found the Birth to Five useful - I have become evangelical about it!

Back today, it's not bad but inset so no kids! Have always thought I'd be brilliant at my job if there weren't any children, my resources would be tip top and I'd be right on top of the marking. Yes, going down to four days from next week (have to deliver tomorrow's inset so working my non-work day this week).

LackaDaisyCal, she does mostly feed herself, like you we help her out a bit but she only enjoys the spoon if she's also got her hands in whatever she's eating! Not really 'BLW', except inasmuch as she chooses whether or not she wants to eat what we're offering her, so she's in control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now