Talk

Advanced search

When should you introduce small amounts of baby rice to a hungry babyt

(17 Posts)
Mindy1 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:54:07

My DD is 7 weeks and polishing off 6 7oz bottles, and has been exclusively bottle fed for 2 weeks (could not satisfy her)

How soon should we look at introducing small amount of baby rice

All advice welcome - am 1st timer

SparkyFartDust Wed 27-Aug-08 19:54:55

6 months.

You have a long wait!

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 27-Aug-08 19:54:59

not for at least another 13-15 weeks IMO

NoBiggy Wed 27-Aug-08 19:55:27

6 months.

And give the poor girl some proper food then. Baby rice is horrible.

Milk is the right food for babies, in whatever quantities they can oink down.

MarlaSinger Wed 27-Aug-08 19:55:37

No, no, no, no, no!

KEep with the milk, it is really all she needs until 6 months. If she wants more, give her more

nowwearefour Wed 27-Aug-08 19:56:02

Dont introduce anything until 6 months. There really is no need. 7 weeks is certainly WAY WAY too early no matter what the differential views on here are. All the official advice is to feed exclusively milk for first 6 months

cmotdibbler Wed 27-Aug-08 19:56:29

All she needs is milk until she's 6 months old

lulumama Wed 27-Aug-08 19:57:28

give her more bottles with more in them ! they go up to 9 ounces you know.. or offer hungry baby milk, but it can give them a tummy ache

solids are not as satisfying to hunger as more milk

early weaning can give a lot of problems later in life.

babies have frequent growth spurts too , ride it out with more milk

MrsTittleMouse Wed 27-Aug-08 19:57:56

I had a very very hungry baby too, and she wouldn't sleep. I hung on and didn't give her baby rice until 5.5 months and "real" food (veg and fruit puree) until 6 months. She was still very demanding for milk and still refused to sleep through until 12 months.
So early weaning would not have been a magic panacea for us, and I doubt that it is for many. It's well worth hanging on.

Mindy1 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:58:17

Ok thanks but are the amounts I am giving her just too much - her weight gain is not excessive but she is just constantly hungry

hercules1 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:58:22

Who told you you couldnt satisfy her with breastmilk?

lulumama Wed 27-Aug-08 19:59:24

6 feeds in 24 hours is not a vast amount for a tiny baby imo

Mindy1 Wed 27-Aug-08 20:00:12

My PHN told me to top het up with bottles and then soon enough she started to reject the breast was just a soother to her and I was left with bleeding and blistered nipples - I beat myself up about it but have moved on

scorpio1 Wed 27-Aug-08 20:00:40

Does she finish her whole bottle? i think maybe you need to increase the amount given, or maybe swap to hungry baby milk?

Big no to rice.

hercules1 Wed 27-Aug-08 20:01:41

What's a phn? FIne it you wanted to give up but to be honest sounds like you were given wrong advice. If you wanted to go back to exclusive breastfeeding you probably could with good support and help.

As for the weaning, please don't. She is far, far too young.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 27-Aug-08 20:02:19

I breastfed DD, so I don't know exactly how much was going into her. I do know though that the first afternoon alone that she was babysat (around 6/7/ weeks?), she polished off 13oz of expressed milk, and this was a baby who would be up at least 4 times at night, and cluster feed in the evening.
So it's not so unusual for a baby to be that hungry, honest.

bristols Wed 27-Aug-08 20:03:04

Agree with the others. Up her to 8 oz bottles and introduce the 'hungry baby' stuff. I switched with no problems at all. Don't start weaning yet. It's far too early, for all the reasons already given! Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now