Talk

Advanced search

What age to start feeding whole raisins

(13 Posts)
giddly Wed 27-Aug-08 14:50:33

What age do you think it's OK to start giving whole raisins? Had a look on the web, and only site I could find said 4 YEARS! (guiltily shuffles off to keep an eye on DD1 who's been shovelling down handfuls of the things since about 15 months).

feetheart Wed 27-Aug-08 14:52:43

DD and DS both had them from about a year I think. Came out looking the same as they went in for AGES but no harm seems have come to them grin

inzidoodle Wed 27-Aug-08 14:55:44

I give my dd 10months raisins cut in half but on the pack it says not suitable for <12months so I would say 12 months hmm

ShePeeTeePee Wed 27-Aug-08 14:57:30

Yep - about one'ish for first-born. A trip through the digestive track seems to plump them up nicely. Subsequent children from the age they have the appropriate pincer finger movement and hand-eye coordination to wolf them up off the carpet.

silverfrog Wed 27-Aug-08 14:58:07

really?

I never thought about it.

dd2 has been having them as long as I can remember (she's 18 months), but I am fairly sure they didn't play a part in early weaning...

I do know that by 10/11 months she was desperate to steal her sister's raisins, so must have had them before that I s'pose.

Pinkjenny Wed 27-Aug-08 14:59:01

They really upset dd's tummy. Which is unfortunate as they are so convenient to keep in your bag, in the car, in the pram etc.

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 27-Aug-08 15:01:55

I think the general idea with this sort of thing is to wait until they're able to pick something up themselves. If they're able to grab it, they're probably save to eat it.

I hope so anyway, because DS started practising his pincer grip on peas, sweetcorn, raisins and subsequently everything else cut into tiny pieces from around 9 months IIRC blush

giddly Wed 27-Aug-08 15:02:17

Thanks all - that's whatt I thought. DD2 (10m) the human hoover desperate to get her hands on DD1s raisins, but will try to hold off a month or two and carry on cutting hers in half (which look particularly attractive in her nappy).

Tinkjon Sat 30-Aug-08 23:01:26

I've been giving them to DS since he was about 8 months with no problems at all!

Waswondering Sat 30-Aug-08 23:10:28

So true about plumping up during trip through digestive track grin!

Dd had a bowl of raisins on the sofa tonight. Never occurred to me to supervise! She's 2.3!!!

ILikeYourSleeves Sun 31-Aug-08 22:53:47

I've been giving DS them for about a month since he was 9 months old. He eats loads of other finger foods fine, can chew well so I tried them and he chews them well whole. I'm always beside him though in case of choking. I was giving him chopped dried apricots so I thought raisins weren't that different so why wait til a year?

meebles Fri 05-Sep-08 08:48:07

oh, I never thought I shouldn't give them whole blush DD's been having them ever since she could pick up peas - 8 months ish?

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 08:54:52

i'm the same, my ds has been having them since he was about 8 months ish too (if not before). he's been fine on them, although i don't let him have too many as they contain a lot of sugar (and he would eat them all if he could!!)
good way of encouraging pincer grip ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now