Talk

Advanced search

What does your 8 month old eat?

(14 Posts)
FurryFox Wed 27-Aug-08 13:38:57

Could really do with some ideas of things to try with 8 month old dd. Breakfast as well as lunch and dinner would be very useful. Thanks smile

likessleep Wed 27-Aug-08 13:57:49

breakfast:
porridge/ready brek
shredded wheat
sugar free puffs
yoghurt and fruit (mashed up)

lunch/dinner:
beef casserole
chicken/potato/carrot (bung all in a saucepan with some water) then mash when cooked
macaroni cheese
jacket potatoe/cheese
cheese on toast
plaice/tomato/brocolli
green veg in cheese sauce
tuna/cheese/sweetcorn/pasta
lamb casserole
spag bol
liver/potato/carrots

likessleep Wed 27-Aug-08 13:58:14

ps not all at once wink

Waspie Wed 27-Aug-08 13:59:32

My son (9mo) tends to have cereal - weetabix, cheerios or muesli or buttered toast and then yoghurt/fromage frais for breakfast.

Lunch tends to be whatever we had for supper the night before - pasta bakes, stir fry's, lots of veges that sort of thing.

Tea/dinner is something along the lines of soup and bread, cheese and tomato on toast, mushroom omlette, sandwiches, jacket potato, pasta salad followed by yet more fresh fruit if required.

FurryFox Wed 27-Aug-08 14:07:07

Thanks for all of those, most of them I hadn't thought of and was starting to strugle with ideas smile

weebump Thu 28-Aug-08 18:35:20

Mine loves cottage pie (without salt of course), French toast, cheese on toast, pasta shapes in sauce... Her faves are chicken sautéed with onion, garlic, tomato and dried apricot; and salmon poached in milk and mixed with sautéed carrot and tomato, both Annabel Karmel recipes, both delicious!
Breakfast usually involves redybrek or weetabix with banana, or toast.

domesticslattern Sun 31-Aug-08 11:29:19

This is a good thread- I am running out of ideas myself! and I just can't face the Annabel Karmel book as I'm a dreadful cook.

Breakfast is Plum baby porridge or Weetabix, mixed with EBM and whatever fruit is around mashed up (eg. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, apricots, pear cooked with cinnamon). Then she gets a piece of my toast or croissant to wave about/ suck the butter off. Today she had pancakes with banana and blueberries just because DH and I were having them.

Lunch is normally a sachet of Ellas food, followed by eg. babybel cheese, banana, a rusk. I am gradually thinking that this isn't a great meal, and we're a bit tired of Ellas and they are really smooth so she wolfs them down. And rusks she just chucks about. So if we are out and about and I am having a sandwich then she gets bits of it eg. chicken, avocado, bread, cheese, ham, hummous. That goes down well. She also likes bread sticks dipped in philadelphia cheese, and dried apple rings to suck (easy to hold!).

Like waspie, dinner is whatever DH and I had the night before. So that might be a bit of beefburger or spaghetti bolognaise or white fish or lentil bake. Served with veg eg. fennel, carrot, mashed peas or sweetcorn. You can also buy frozen spinach- that's a godsend. She also likes those stellete pastas (tiny stars which are used for soup). Followed by natural yoghurt (just one of those massive tubs is cheapest) with bits of fruit stirred in, and some to wave. Melon sticks last night. Then if she is still hungry I scout about in the fridge for avocado or more cheese.

This looks really fruit heavy when I write it down!

This week I've filled the trolley with new things to try: tofu, chickpeas, canned fish (eg. salmon). And I shall try likessleep's suggestions!

emma1977 Sun 31-Aug-08 11:55:07

Breakfast:
Ready brek or weetabix with fruit (banana, mango, blueberry, strawberry, apple, pear, apricot, prunes, plum, peach)
Toast and yoghurt

Lunch:
Vegetable and cheese sticks followed by...
Chicken casserole
Haddock chowder
Kedgeree
Shepherd's pie
Cottage pie
Spinach, chicken and chickpea stew
Scrambled eggs, baked beans and toast
Spanish or mushroom omlette
Chilli con carne
Finger sandwiches with tuna and cream cheese
Spaghetti bolognese
Fish lyonnaise
Lentil bake
...and then a yoghurt

Dinner:
Pasta with cheese sauce and green veg
Sweetcorn chowder
Risotto (mushroom, butternut squash and sage, leek and ham)
Jacket potato and beans
Mixed mashed veg (sweet potato, tomatoes, sweet peppers, green beans, peas)

Fresh fruit (melon, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pear)

kiwibella Sun 31-Aug-08 13:01:14

domesticslattern... I got the AK book for ideas - I'm also a mediocre cook but have tried so many different ideas... the whole family gets served them grin.

kiwibella Sun 31-Aug-08 13:01:45

sorry, that should be... tried so many meals / combinations

domesticslattern Sun 31-Aug-08 19:20:57

Gosh emma1977, I think my DD might pack her bags and come round your place. The menu looks so much better!

Liz79 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:56:10

Now I feel inadequate. DD 8.5 months ish

Brekkie - half a weetabix with water/milk
(generally doesn't eat much of it but today she did so I gave her a fromage frais, when she ate all of that I made another half a weetabix but she only had 2 spoons)

Lunch and Tea - frozen slop I have made
-spag bol (now lumpy)
-AK chicken/carrot/apple dinner. Added rice to provide lumps
- AK spinach/cauli/butternut squash. Grate cheese in it to give lumps/protein/fat.
-still using up smooth cod dinner, salmon dinner, broccoli, mixed berries (doesn't like) and date.
- might get a tesco disney fromage frais. Going to get big tub of natural and mix with nasty berry puree
- might get finger food of something which is hanging around. eg tomato or cucumber.

Just made a batch of fish/cheese/orange/sweet potato AK recipe.

Contemplating giving her beans and toast, toast is finger food, do I mash the beans so its not choky and then spoon feed it? What do you do with cheerios? Just enough milk to make them soggy and sticking together?

DD wasn't a big eater and then she was ill and ate virtually no solids for 3 days and then we were back to square 1 with small amounts and building up. She doesn't get much fruit but all of the frozen meals are fish or meat with veg and either potato/rice/pasta. She wolfs smooth food but isn't so keen on lumpy food, she does take it but not much.

She has snacks of organix biscuits/crisps and sometimes banana but she drops that. What is good fruit to give them?

emma1977 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:53:36

Dh is forever complaining that ds eats way better than we do.

Liz79- Nice fruity finger foods can be grapes and blueberries (halved), slices of ripe pear, strawberries (messy), raspberries (very messy), melon slices, lumps of banana (gets squishes and goes everywhere).

Toast is fantastic finger food with butter or cream cheese. I give him that to play with while I shovel in the beans/egg/spaghetti hoops.

Hulababy Mon 01-Sep-08 12:59:20

For my nearly 10 month old godson wbo I look after once a week I have made things like:

pasta and sauce
sandwiches and salad sticks with humous
eggy bread
chicken or fish with rice and veg
casserole
fish pie
cottage pie
jacket potato and beans
chilli (very mild)
roast chicken dinner
duck with tortilla

Dessert is normally yogurt or fruit.

Usually it is very similar to what I am giving DD and her friend (if in a school holiday) or else a variation of a meal we have eaten a a family. I will often take a small portion off ameal and put it in the freezer to heat up when I next have him.

Today is spag bol with grated chseese on top, with a small piece of the garlic bread. DD and firend are eating theres now. Godson is still asleep so can eat when he wakes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now