Talk

Advanced search

Baby dropping milk feeds - is she getting enough?

(7 Posts)
Notsochilledanymore Tue 26-Aug-08 18:50:46

DD (6m) started on solids three weeks ago. Since then, has dropped a milk feed totally (refuses 10am bottle with tightly clamped together lips) and has reduced overall milk intake from 900ml per day to just under 500ml. She's loving her solids but should I limit the amount that she eats in order to get her to drink more milk? She has her bottle before breakfast but after lunch and dinner - she refuses most of her solids if I do it the other way around (if I give the bottle first, she takes 700ml per day, so a lot more milk but very little solid food). Should I give her smaller bottles before the solid feed and then hope that she'll eat more solids? Or should I just chill out and let her have what she wants. Very confused about what to do - help!

angel1976 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:42:21

Hi, I know exactly how you feel... My LO loves his solids (he just turned 6 months btw so same as yours!) but I am still giving him his milk feeds first, so he is not taking much solid and am confused as to what to do next. Will be watching your thread with interest but you are not the only one getting confused!

Notsochilledanymore Wed 27-Aug-08 09:05:51

My life just seems to be huge confusion all round at the moment! Will let you know if I manage to get an answer, although spoke to GP this morning and she thinks DD is getting more than enough milk because she's taking formula with baby rice and is also having wholemilk yoghurt. Off to fret a bit more.....

SparkyFartDust Wed 27-Aug-08 09:08:39

happening here too.
She has dropped almost all daytime BF since starting solids- even if offered prior to meal.
Not going to worry though- seem to remember my first baby did this and then sorted herself out once appetite increased.
Keep offering and try not to worry too much.

ConnorTraceptive Wed 27-Aug-08 09:11:44

I think it's natural for them to drop a feed once they are on 3 meals a day so I wouldn't worry too much as long as her diet is varied and she is eating a good amount of solids I'm sure she is fine.

HormonesAGogo Wed 27-Aug-08 15:45:27

I have had a very similar problem with dd and it seems to be sorting itself out, she went from exclusively bf until 24 weeks, then I started her on one, two, then three meals (solids) a day. As soon as she was on three meals a day she started refusing all milk during the day, whether direct from the cow (me) or in a bottle or cup! Now she is 7 1/2 months and it has evened out a bit - she eats solids very well indeed and her milk intake has gone up again - she's bf first thing and before bed (but has hardly anything before bed sometimes, just falls asleep) and takes milk in a cup between her meals as well. For about 3 weeks she would push my boobs away and get quite annoyed when offered milk sometimes, I think it's quite common around this age and is to do with teething and loving the solids! She's more active now and hungrier for solids and milk, my boobs are back to melons and she's been absolutely fine so my advice would be to look at the baby and if it's happy and healthy it probably knows what it wants and is doing just fine grin

Pheebe Wed 27-Aug-08 16:34:00

Sounds normal to me, both dss did similar and it does balance itself out once they get used to solids as well as their milk.

They need between 16 and 20oz a day but don't forget that includes the milk in their solids too so milk on cereals, youghurt, cheese etc

I alternate drinks and solids so here's whats working for us at the mo (ds2 is 10 months now):

breakfast - fruity porridge or weetabix with 3-4 oz milk followed about half an hour later by another 3 oz milk

mid morning - milk drink (offer 5, usually drinks 3-4) and snack

lunch

midafternoon - milk drink as in morning

tea

bedtime - milk drink (6 oz)

When we were starting out both dss loved baby rice mixed with milk with fruit or veggie puree. This boosted their milk intake too.

TBH though its important to remember that under 1 foods just for fun so don't worry to much about amounts so long as they're enjoying it and trying lots of differnt tastes and textures

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now