Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

10 month old NOT eating

(17 Posts)
MarlaSinger Sat 23-Aug-08 14:25:05

He has gone from enjoying food to just refusing to even entertain the idea of picking it up and putting it in his mouth. He delights in throwing it all off the edge of the highchair, which of course is a great game, but eat it? Naaah.

I do not fuss, if he doesn't eat something I'll offer something else, and end up cleaning it away, no stress, just remove it, play with him or BF him, try again with food a bit later, etc etc.

But he is flat out refusing - and now won't touch finger food, or open his mouth for mashed or even pureed food.

What the shit have I done wrong?!

Mine Sat 23-Aug-08 15:07:42

sounds like you've done nothing wrong Marla.... babies just keep changing the rules !!

My 10month old son is the same, he went through this 'phase' recently... turns out he was trying to grow a tooth grin

It won;t last.

MrsMattie Sat 23-Aug-08 15:10:11

Sounds perfectly normal! I think a lot of babies go through a bit of a crazy non-eating stage around this age. Frustrating, but normal.

BeachBunni Sat 23-Aug-08 17:45:43

My ds is doing this recently too. He's 10 mo but only counted as 8.5 as he was early. As soon as I started introducing finger foods he no longer wants to eat anything - just play with it, mash it up, bang it off his tray. As for spoons, he just wants to chew them and isn't interested on the food on them. The dog is having a field day as most of his food ends up on the floor.
Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. The way I look at it is he's either teething or excerting some independence. He's still getting most of his calories and goodness from his milk. If I were you I'd be congratulating myself on still bf.

Stefka Sun 24-Aug-08 09:56:25

Ohhh me too! DS is also ten months and is doing this. I wondered what the hell was going on.

sarah293 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:10:20

Message withdrawn

I think (hope!) riven is joking!

DS did this. He's just come out the other side of it and at 13 months eats tons again.

I've put it all down to teeth, and it seemed to coincide with a couple of months of pretty extra wakeful nights, grumpy days, general unsettledness.

Milk is the main thing. The good thing about BF is they'll BF regardless of anything, it seems. Just roll with it - it's all you can do, I think.

TrinityRhino Sun 24-Aug-08 10:34:57

riven are you ok?

sarah293 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:36:00

Message withdrawn

HeadFairy Sun 24-Aug-08 10:43:12

My ds went through the same phase... (he's 11 months) I did think it was better to give him something than nothing at all so I sometimes relented and gave him things I knew he'd eat, ie yoghurts which he loves (not too bad) bread and butter (not too bad either) biscuits (hmm not so great) but it was just a phase. Everyone told me so, I didn't believe them. It's true. He's now eating so much I can't keep up! If you can stand the mess let him throw things on the floor, play with food, whatever. If he's hungry he will eat. Sounds daft and you won't believe it, but it's true. DS did lose a bit of weight during his food throwing phase, but he's put it all back on now.

One thing that always works with ds is me eating something in front of him. He always wants what I've got, so I'll make a piece of toast and eat it, he'll usually try and grab a bit of it, so I'll give him half, or as much as he wants. It's not great for the old diet as I always end up eating too much toast but it has helped in desperate times.

DontlookatmeImshy Sun 24-Aug-08 10:44:24

She did say she bf's him so I'm guessing he's still taking milk.?

If he's just refusing solids but taking plenty of milk I'd agree with the others that it's just a (tooth related?) phase. DS1 did this for a while.

TrinityRhino Sun 24-Aug-08 10:46:19

but the op did not say they weren't drinking

riven, isn't your dd sn?
The op didn't say anything about that
also at 10 months they dont need food really inmportantly as long as they are bf well, which form the op sounds that he is

Sorry riven, the OP mentioned that she will BF instead if her baby won't eat so I assumed you were joking.

MarlaSinger Sun 24-Aug-08 11:11:10

Sorry for the confusion riven, he is drinking breastmilk, but I do think he is a bit dehydrated all the same as his poo has - well, I don't want to be too descriptive about it.

Managed to get him to suck on some watermelon last night and I think he ate a couple of raisins for breakfast. Refused to be spoonfed Weetabix. Vaguely interested in a few blueberries and blackberries.

There is definitely a little tooth threatening to poke through - I hope it hurries up.

Headfairy that is pretty reassuring as he is a big baby and has gone from 9th centile at birth to 91st now so maybe he will level out a bit.

Marla we found chilled fruit went down OK, and at that age he was mad for anything tiny which involved pinching, so small squares of bread/tiny pieces of sandwich, raisins and berries, sweetcorn, peas, cheerios etc were good. He would feed himself or let us put food in his mouth but hated being spoon fed. And also he liked it best if he could hold a spoon and wave it around while eating hmm

HeadFairy Sun 24-Aug-08 12:48:23

ds is currently in a phase where if I leave food on the table for him to feed himself with he throws it on the floor, if I spoon feed him he has a hissy fit, but if i take a pea sized bit of food and pop it in his mouth he's happy. Just one of those lovely phases sent to challenge us

Glad to hear he's growing well, my ds started out on 50th centile at birth and dropped to 0.4 centile, struggled to get back up to 25th and has usually hovered just below the 25th so I always fretted a bit about food, but that's just "his" growth line. Babies are very good at adjusting their food intake so it's just right for them and their current rate of growth. DS has just had a growth spurt and last week I swear he was eating practically adult portions, now he's not so interested. Ups and down

sarah293 Sun 24-Aug-08 17:51:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now