Talk

Advanced search

Help, 13 month old drinking too much milk and not eating enough!

(5 Posts)
hellisotherpeople Sat 23-Aug-08 12:59:31

My ds is slim and has never been a big eater. I weaned him at 6 months from being exclusively breastfed onto formula (nanny care) and solids (mainly baby led weaning). However, he still only ever eats a couple of mouthfuls and then he only wants his milk. I was hoping that this would gradually change but he is still drinking up to four bottles of milk a day. Any ideas, suggestions would be gratefully received.

MrsMattie Sat 23-Aug-08 13:06:08

My son was a lot like this.I t's frustrating for you, but not the end of the world. He is only just a year old, and to be honest, children of this age are only just starting to reach the stage where they need more nutrition than milk can offer.

Does he still have milk in a bottle? Perhaps it's time to move him on to a cup so that he is only drinking milk when he is genuinely thirsty, rather than drinking for comfort and then getting too full to eat.

Perhaps you could also try him with soft, milky meals - yoghurt, rice pudding, milky ready brek/fine milled porridge, other milky puddings - to ease his transition on to proper solids?

Some people will advise the opposite, but I say - if you can find some foods, especially finger foods, that he really likes, let him eat that every day if he wants, just to get him used to eating solids.

If it's any consolation my son hardly ate a thing until he was about 2 yrs old and it's only since his third birthday that his appetite has become much bigger. He has always been perfectly healthy and strong.

hellisotherpeople Sat 23-Aug-08 13:54:46

Thanks for your quick and reassuring reply MrsMattie. Good idea about using a cup instead of a bottle. I'm using that for water and juice but will also start to use it for his milk. Thanks again.

meandmyjoe Mon 01-Sep-08 20:42:14

Just to reassure you that my ds is nearly 13 months and is exactly the same. He hates being spoon fed and only eats a few mouthfulls of our food (cut up into finger foods) then starts to fuss and whinge to be out the highchair. I was so desperate that I let him just eat on the floor but he just gets distracted and walks off, leaving the food behind. My ds was a lot like mrsmattie's, we met on another thread a few months ago regarding difficult babies and I am reassured that her ds was the same with food too!

meandmyjoe Mon 01-Sep-08 20:44:25

Forgot to say that my ds sometimes still has 4 bottles a day, just about getting him down to 3 now but it's not always sucessful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now