Talk

Advanced search

How to move from milk to solids?

(9 Posts)
angel1976 Fri 22-Aug-08 19:46:22

Hi all,

My DS is about to turn 6 months, I have been weaning him for several weeks now but very slowly. So far, he seems to like most things I offer him (except parsnip but I don't like it either... LOL!). And he's a greedy little thing, he was smacking his lips at some lady eating an egg sandwich the other day at the local pool! hmm

He's ALWAYS been a poor milk drinker (averaging 25 oz a day since he was 8 weeks old!) so I have been conscious to make sure he always has milk first, then solids and that he doesn't decrease his milk intake. When I ask my HV how to drop his milk feeds when he is 6 months and ready to do so, she said to be led by the baby. Fair enough.

This week, DS has actually increased his milk intake (only by an oz or so each feed) but he's also losing interest in his solids. He still eyes our food greedily and will make an attempt to go for it but with his meals, he will take a couple of mouthfuls and then lose interest or throw whatever food he is holding onto the floor. I am thinking of dropping his DF (usually takes 5 oz) at 11pm but am scared he will wake up in the middle of the night. Currently, he sleeps through from 7pm - 6-ish with a DF. This is his current schedule:

7am - 4 oz bottle (not interested in taking more, in fact he doesn't seem very hungry in the morning) + solid breakfast (fruit + porridge / yoghurt)
11am - 6 oz bottle
1 pm - Solids (vege puree)
3pm - 6 oz bottle
5/5:30pm - Dinner (meat dish of some sort + pudding - usually yoghurt and fruit)
7pm - 6 oz bottle
11pm - 5 oz bottle

He also gets finger food snacks in between (just organic corn snacks, dried fruit etc). I intend to do more BLW when he is more able to hold stuff in his hands.

Firstly, how do I 'adjust' the schedule so he gets solids first? Secondly, if I want to drop his DF, am I better off reducing it slowly (i.e. offer him 4 oz for a week and decrease in that way?) or just drop it suddenly? Can someone please help? I am so clueless! Thanks!

Ax

beansprout Fri 22-Aug-08 19:47:50

Ds2 is seven months and still isn't interested in solids. No matter, some of them just take a bit longer. Just keep offering and it will all fall into place soon enough!! smile

angel1976 Fri 22-Aug-08 20:17:59

Hi beansprout, thanks! The thing is he likes his food, will happily chomp on toast with cream cheese etc and greedily eye up all our food. I guess my question really is on how I can make solids his main meals instead of milk without him dropping his milk intake too much? Do I do a switcheroo i.e. switch his milk and solid feed round or what? hmm

constancereader Fri 22-Aug-08 20:21:43

I wouldn't push the solids if you want him to keep his milk intake up, milk is more important at this age. There is plenty of time for him to make solids his main source of nutrition. It is really good that he likes his food, my ds wasn't interested at all until eight or nine months but still made the change.

angel1976 Fri 22-Aug-08 22:43:30

Thanks constancereader. I guess because he's such a bad milk drinker, I thought it would be easier if he was on solids mainly but now I just get paranoid at him dropping his milk intake as I had been fighting to up it so far!

luvaduck Fri 22-Aug-08 22:51:48

if hes not interested in am feed could you start to wean off the DF???

agree with constance - milk most important, its all about developing tastes at the moment...

angel1976 Sat 23-Aug-08 20:56:31

He's definitely not keen on his morning feed. Do you think I should just lessen the amount he gets for his DF or should I just go for it and drop it? Thank!

cafebistro Sat 23-Aug-08 21:04:03

I would reduce the amount you offer him at the DF. Reduce it by an ounce every few days and see how it affects him...his appetite should increase for the morning feed

angel1976 Sat 23-Aug-08 21:10:05

Thanks cafebistro, I will do that tonight... Fingers crossed for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now