Talk

Advanced search

the 6 month 'allowed list'

(12 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Fri 22-Aug-08 14:36:32

What is it that babies shouldn't eat when they are 6 months old? I have completely forgotten, it has been a while since i have weaned and both other DCs were weaned much earlier!

I have a vague recollection that they can have pretty much anything except honey, nuts and some kind f strawberry type fruit (can't remember which!!)

Am doing a mixture of mashed up food (he will NOT touch puree!) and finger foods if that makes a difference

KnickersOnMaHead Fri 22-Aug-08 15:23:20

Message withdrawn

ninedragons Fri 22-Aug-08 15:24:48

I think you are supposed to avoid kiwi as well.

ScaryHairy Fri 22-Aug-08 15:28:02

Honey
Nuts
Milk as a main drink

I reckon that's it.
I can't think of a reason why strawberries or kiwi would be an issue as a general rule.

peachsmuggler Fri 22-Aug-08 15:42:54

I think the strawberry thing is to do with a lot of people are allergic, and kiwis give them the shits. Also I think they are not allowed runny eggs and runny cheese till they're 1.

MerlinsBeard Fri 22-Aug-08 16:11:09

it can't be strawberries as i am sure that i have seen baby food with strawberries in! Kiwi rings a bell

cool, sounds like i am not about to poion him (beyond discovering foods he dislikes of course!!)

ninedragons Fri 22-Aug-08 18:12:57

God, how can anything make a baby poo more than it already does? If I weren't the person in the nappy firing line, I would be kind of intrigued to try kiwi just as an experiment.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 22-Aug-08 18:35:28

Honey, whole or chopped nuts (ground ones are ok), pate and blue cheese iirc.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 18:37:01

Kiwi and strawberries can spark the same allergic reaction, but you won't know till you try, iyswim! I think at six months they reckon they're fine, it's if you wean at four months you need to be careful.

I think they recommend putting a tiny amount of kiwi/strawberry on the lips to check for allergic reactions, any swelling etc then steer clear!

MerlinsBeard Fri 22-Aug-08 20:38:13

of course i mean POISON not poion!hmm

peanutbutterkid Fri 22-Aug-08 20:40:29

Is egg white okay, then? I am sure it wasn't until 9 months according to guidelines I was given many years ago. I have slight aversion to egg white myself.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 22-Aug-08 20:51:00

If you have allergies yourself pbk then you should be a bit more cautious, but if there's no reason to anticipate a problem then yes, egg white is fine. If you have an aversion to it yourself then I would perhaps leave it til a bit later, and offer without any other new foods, so that you can be sure it is the egg if it does cause a reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now