Talk

Advanced search

Silly question about freezing veg and fruit portions

(10 Posts)
monthlymayhem Tue 19-Aug-08 23:23:37

I never have been a domestic goddess, but am currently making up vegetable and fruit purees for my 5 mth old, and freezing so that they are ready to wean him at 26 weeks . I've also read alot on mumsnet about BLW so am looking forward to doing a bit of a mixture of pureees and BLW.

So far, I've made up carrot, parsnip, pear and sweet potato, and had a sudden thought about how long they will keep in the freezer in ice cube trays. I'm assuming it's three months?

IHeartIona Wed 20-Aug-08 08:50:39

according to one of the books I read it was a month and the other said 8 weeks I believe - does anyone else know for certain?

I have been doing the same as you ready for weaning!

Pheebe Wed 20-Aug-08 17:58:35

Fruit & veg will keep up to 6 months, anything with meat in I wouldn't keep any longer than 1 month. TBH though I wouldn't bother premaking too much stuff. You don't know what ds is going to like or how much he's going to eat.

I usually make up a weeks batch of purees over the weekend (doesn't take long at all once you get started) and also cook extra and freeze suitable odd bits of whatever we're having. I'm using a beba steamer-blender.

You can be too organised you know smile

monthlymayhem Wed 20-Aug-08 22:07:19

Thanks Ladies!

onepieceoflollipop Wed 20-Aug-08 22:08:39

I don't think it goes bad even after a few months, might be a bit more watery or not quite so good. There is no way I would throw stuff out of the freezer after a month, or even 3 months.

Bronze Wed 20-Aug-08 22:09:16

You do know you can tip them out into a freezer bag don't you. I say this because I discovered a friend buying yet more icecube trays and questioned her as to why. Turns out she was stocking up on puree and was filling a new tray each time. Bless her cotton wool filled brain grin
Just checking cos of 'how long they will keep in the freezer in ice cube trays'

Denny185 Wed 20-Aug-08 22:13:59

Just fruit veg I would keep 4-6 months but as Pheebe says wouldn't do too much in case not liked. I tend to just cook too much veg when I do our dinner and blend it down, make 4 or 5 mush dinners at a time. Doesnt feel like a chore that way as already cooking IYSWIM.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 20-Aug-08 22:14:19

Good point Bronze. My friend had the same problem, but not because she was keeping the food in the trays. When she was "snapping it out" of the trays, she kept breaking them. She was blaming the cheapo trays. She hadn't used them before. I suggested that she wait a few minutes, or pour a bit of warm water on the undersides...she bought a lot fewer trays after that.

amidaiwish Wed 20-Aug-08 23:10:37

these are good

monthlymayhem Sun 24-Aug-08 12:57:56

Thanks Bronze - I hadn't thought of that, and yes have been buying more ice cube trays...doh!! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now