Talk

Advanced search

How soon to introduce 'normal' food?

(12 Posts)
2point4kids Mon 18-Aug-08 20:44:02

I know they say that after 6 months babies can eat pretty much normal food (ie whatever I eat with the odd exception) but I am wondering how quickly you can progress that to that from just milk.
Just started weaning DS a couple of weeks ago.
The first week I gave him single veg or fruit purees.
This week I have introduced breakfast plus am now giving him mixed veg purees at lunch.
Next week I'll add tea as well, so he'll be on 3 meals a day.
Can I start giving him whole meal purees with meat and cheese in (pureed versions of our family dinners) then or is that too soon after starting weaning to jump to normal food?

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 20:46:48

yes you can give him meat and cheese, and also you don't actually have to puree the food at all.

If your baby prefers pureed though then that's fine.

Just be vigalant anout watching for allergic reactions when trying new food for the first time.

Remember, baby food doesn't have to mean bland food. Think outside the jar™

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 20:49:33

if you give him your meals just make sure you cook it all without salt.

Pretty much all you need to make sure he doesn't eat are salt and honey. Apart from that anything goes.

I agree, you can jack in the purees because at 6 months they can feed themselves amazingly well.

Try finger foods - anything you can think of - they love it

MrsJamin Tue 19-Aug-08 08:15:58

Ds has been eating 'normal food' from the start as we started at 6 months. He loves a roast dinner! It depends what you see as 'normal' - to be honest I don't see purees as normal!

2point4kids Tue 19-Aug-08 09:10:26

Well I see normal food as the same cooked meals we all eat at home.
I just didnt think you could go from just milk to a full roast dinner for their first meal at 6 months so am doing pureed veg for a week or 2 to get him used to the tastes before giving a whole meal.
Is that not normal then?
Should I have put a roast in front of him at 6 months despite never having had anything except milk up to that point?
I honestly thought that it would be better to ease them into it for a bit first (in case of any adverse reactions as well as to get him used to the tastes). I am actualy quite surprised that this is not the case!
Well I will start giving him full meals now then.

KnickersOnMaHead Tue 19-Aug-08 09:23:21

Message withdrawn

KnickersOnMaHead Tue 19-Aug-08 09:24:33

Message withdrawn

Bumperlicious Tue 19-Aug-08 09:36:36

yep, I would quit the purees and start giving finger food. In the example of a roast dinner I would just offer a strip of roast chicken, roast potato cut into graspable chucks, same with veg batons (avoid peas until he has mastered his pincer grip, that'll be in a couple of months). Make sure you don't add salt to anything, even the cooking water.

As to giving LO meat, I would try and avoid processed meat (ham, sausages) for a long as possible (though DD, 14mo, loves sausages blush)

With cheese, you can offer sticks of cheese, great as they just melt in the mouth.

I think when you have a LO you discover the joys of herbs and spices and garlic to add flavour instead of salt. Don't be afraid of letting DS try different flavours, DD loves curry (we just cool it down with a bit of natural yoghurt).

Bumperlicious Tue 19-Aug-08 09:37:25

Oooh, and cinnamon instead of sugar on cereal (makes yucky weetabix a bit more palatable).

MrsJamin Tue 19-Aug-08 09:50:40

Roast dinner wasn't DS's first meal, he'd had veg sticks, rice cakes etc before that. But yes you can definitely go to normal unpureed food as long as your DC feeds themself - i.e. picks it up, puts it in their mouth etc. see www.babyledweaning.com etc.

2point4kids Tue 19-Aug-08 09:56:58

Sorry to be dim, but I didnt realise that you were talking about baby led weaning!
I'm not too keen on the idea of that, sorry.
I do give DS finger foods along side his pureed meals so he is getting used to eating things himself, I just dont like the idea of having him feed himself everything.

What I actually meant was when could I give him a whole dinner with meat and cheese and seasonings etc all mixed it it, rather than just cooking him up different veg seperately.

I assume the answer the same whether he is blw or on purees - ie I can give him everything we eat now! I'm making a risotto tonight and have low salt stock so I'll try him with some of that!

Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now