Talk

Advanced search

When do babies graduate from a sippy cup.... and what to?

(9 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Sun 17-Aug-08 22:25:50

I posted this in 'food' too but I think it's more at home here...

My 9.5 months DS has been drinking from a 2 handled Tommy Tippee sippy cup since we started weaning at 5 months old. He can drink from it himself now, knows how to pick it up and tip it (though usually only picks it up with one hand as he has food in his other hand!). I am just wondering how long he should drink from this and when he should graduate on to something else (not suite sure what would be next though!).

Thanks for any advice

gagarin Sun 17-Aug-08 22:39:24

small plastic open cup with a handle

when sitting down only

by 2-3yrs?

Seona1973 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:46:26

my 22 month old gets an open plastic cup with no handles along with his meals. If he is not at the table he still uses a lidded cup to prevent the spills you would get from an open cup - he has a cup with an integrated straw with no handles and a couple of sports cups and he also sometimes uses cups with handles.

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 18-Aug-08 17:54:27

Message withdrawn

MotherElk Tue 19-Aug-08 08:58:10

have you tried a Doidy cup? you can use them alongside sippy cups so it's less of a wrench for them.. he might like the independenc too you never know

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 19-Aug-08 09:04:22

I started doing open cup with DS at about a year, we had a doidy but tbh any vessel seems to do. I just made sure that he was sitting down and had a good grip on the cup. It was a bit messy to start with but he soon got the hang of it. You could also try a straw, DS loves these now.

I kept the Tommy Tippee for out and about tho, and he still occasionally asks for it at 2 yrs. DS got a bit of practice in the bath drinking out of various containers, but this wasn't something directed by me grin.

They will all take their own time over it I think, just offer every now and then and they will let you know whether they can manage it...

DS is going to be 3 next month and i still give him sippy cups (unless it's water) because it's just easier than cleaning up the constant spills. (milk in the carpet is not cool!)

Amellia Mon 01-Sep-08 17:22:34

A is going to be 5 in a few months but still wants sippy cup. Throws a fit when cannot have it...obviously, it's time to move her on from sippy, but very difficult to see her meltdown...anyone else seeing same kinds of reactions?

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 10:12:50

most 4 year olds i know still have something like this or this when out cos it is less messy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now