Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this an odd way to feed a baby?

(26 Posts)
ImnotOK Fri 15-Aug-08 17:02:41

I do think it is I have 5 dc and have never fed mine like it but my friend has three and afaik has fed all her lo's this way up until them been around 1 .

She puts the food on a spoon feeds it to herself then spits it back on spoon and gives it baby ,actually watching it today made me feel a bit ill hmm

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 15-Aug-08 17:04:07

cool, weird but cool.

sweetkitty Fri 15-Aug-08 17:04:13

shock so she chews the babies food for it?

A bit yuck but I think this was how weaning was done back in ye olden days before Annabel Carmel

hercules1 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:05:19

Dh has done that a lot to feed the kids food that they would have been unable to chew otherwise. Wonder how people managed before liquidisers etc.....

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 15-Aug-08 17:05:43

yeah, I used to chew bits of ham baguette for my dd then when they were all soft and pappy give them to her - starts off the digestion process for them.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Fri 15-Aug-08 17:06:06

I think it had been the norm to feed a baby like this before blenders etc. to mush the food up.

If it's already mushed up, not sure why she would go to the trouble of doing it, but it is up to her.

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 17:07:00

Oh good.

Another thread judging parents just because they do things differently to you.

What does it matter how parents get the food into their babies?

psychomum5 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:09:17

does sound odd, and I also have five and have never done this, but I remember reading somewhere that this used to be quite normal in days gone by.

is it puree tho that she does it with, or does she chew hard food for them to help them along???

ellideb Fri 15-Aug-08 17:09:30

Oh that's gross! You are just asking for trouble with regard to baby catching an infection!

RedHead81 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:10:21

birds do it this way don't they??? And LOTS of mammals!

MatNanPlus Fri 15-Aug-08 17:11:16

Different i grant you hmm wonders if it will catch on

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-Aug-08 17:14:29

Its a bit gross to me but can see the logic.

But ds could chew from about a week into weaning we didn't do the whole puree thing.

ImnotOK Fri 15-Aug-08 17:19:22

omdb --I suppose I am judging but each to their own let her get on with it ,I have always found it strange to see her do it .I suppose next time you see something a bit odd you wont be posting on here hmm.

<<<Scuttles off to find someone else to judge>>>

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 17:21:06

That's right ImnotOK, I won't be posting it on here. I don't generally start threads judging or critisising or even discussing how other people do things. Live and let live is what I say.

hatrick Fri 15-Aug-08 17:22:38

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Fri 15-Aug-08 17:23:57

Surely it must have been standard practise prior to blenders.

ImnotOK Fri 15-Aug-08 17:28:24

Well I am hardly going to be phoning the weaning police on her am I ,just found it a bit strange and thought I would see what other people thought .

Upwind Fri 15-Aug-08 17:31:24

I wonder are there advantages to this - baby gets "good bacteria" from Mum's mouth?

It is hardly risking an infection either, babies of that age put all sorts in their mouths grin

ImnotOK Fri 15-Aug-08 17:35:47

I doubt it she smokes so nothing v nice in her mouth <<<OFFS off I go judging again>>>>>>>

ellideb Fri 15-Aug-08 17:40:27

Our mouths are full of bacteria and not 'good' bacteria either! Midwives tell people not to put babies dummies in our mouths to 'clean' them after they have fallen on the floor because you are putting baby at risk of thrush and other nasties! No different with food IMO! Eeeewwwww!

Upwind Fri 15-Aug-08 17:45:49

Surely that advice from midwives is for the first few months before weaning? You don't need to sterilise spoons for a child that has been weaned but you do sterilise bottles for a newborn. Wouldn't the same logic apply to dummies?

TrinityRhino Fri 15-Aug-08 17:53:40

My mw told me not to put my little finger in my own mouth to make sure it was clean before allowing gecko to suck on it to go to sleep when she was tiny

I was quite outraged that I shoudl be told that I can't share my bacteria with my baby without putting them at serious risk
after all they suck my nipples, touch my mouth, kiss me, surely we are already sharing bacteria anyway

ellideb Fri 15-Aug-08 20:47:44

The bacteria in our mouths can give a baby thrush she told me and we can all get thrush at any age regardless of whether equipment needs sterilising. Saliva is not sterile and can transmit nasties that are not found on nipples etc. For example you wouldnt spit on your child's wound in order to clean it would you? That would never be recommended in a First Aid manual! Reminds me of when my Nan used to spit onto a tissue in order to clean my face when I was little <shudder>

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 20:49:05

Crikey that would take all flipping day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now