Talk

Advanced search

chinese takeaway

(23 Posts)
likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 13:07:57

how come my MIL seemed very impressed that she knows a lady whose 9 month old grandchild had eaten a chinese takeaway!!!

i have nothing against stir fry veg/meat etc, but i thought chinese takeaway had various chemicals, MSG etc in it (it brings my sis out in hives!)?

and my SIL is surprised i haven't yet tried DS with a chip!! why should that be important? he has the rest of his life to eat food like that, surely!!??

sorry, rant over.

VictorianSqualor Fri 15-Aug-08 13:13:52

I suppose if you feed your DC the same as what you eat from 6 months then they'd expect a chip or something to have been given at some point.

Maybe your MiL was just surprised the child ate soemthing spicy?

Dragonbutter Fri 15-Aug-08 13:17:43

our kids have chinese takeaway because we do. i can't see how noodles/rice/chicken/veg is a problem, although you have to watch the salt.
same for chips.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 13:19:50

yeah i guess. i just get annoyed that when they visit, my niece and nephew ONLY eat pizza, chicken nuggets and ham, if they have room after the bags and bags of sweets they eat all day and take chocolate bars to bed with them!

god i sound like a bitch. we just have such differing opinions on food. am visiting them all next w'end, so i hope it doesn't blow up!!

thanks for keeping me sane!!

RGPargy Fri 15-Aug-08 13:21:13

My DD will not eat potatoes in any form, even chips!!! shock I have no idea where she gets the chip aversion from! <looks at own chip eater's figure> blush

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 13:21:24

not all chinese take-aways contain chemicals or MSG, our local one boasts no artificial ingreidnets and does low salt versions if you ask them to.

She was probably most likely just impressed that he ate 'spicy foreign food', if she's of the generation that view anything other than meat and two veg exotic foreign food lol

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 13:22:06

RGpargy my DS is the same, he never touched potatoes even as a baby and now at 5 still doesn't, in any form.

Egg Fri 15-Aug-08 13:22:40

Would not let a 9 month old have chinese takeaway as is prob v salty and also you can't be sure what is in it.

Would not mind older children. Would let my DS1 try some (he is 2.5) but he would prob refuse anyway, fussy beggar.

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 13:23:25

What's wrong with chips?

My DS loves them. He makes such wonderful noises when he has one. Sort of like 'mmmmmm-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMomomomnom'

He has had stir fry too, though home made, not takeaway.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 13:24:59

i don't want my ds to grow up without treats or be one of those kids who goes hyper cos he has never had them. i guess i think that as he doesn't eat that much and eats everything, i will get good stuff in him whilst i have control!

overmydeadbody - you're right, maybe i should find out which ones are better. my dh gets a migraine after chinese, and with my sis reacting as well, i just wonder what is in it (or majority of chinese takeaways)?

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 13:25:30

Oh I get it now, you aren't actually enquiring about anything to do with weaning, you are just slagging off your SIL.

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 13:26:36

My chip-loving 10 month old would still choose watermelon over anything else, though.

Just in case I am being judged?

Dragonbutter Fri 15-Aug-08 13:29:47

it's difficult. i'm fairly sure i am judged for my eldest sons eating habits. the only veg he eats is corn on the cob. the rest of his diet includes tuna, mackerel, chicken but for variety he also has fish fingers and pizza. the only fruit he eats is dried. and he eats lots of rice, pasta, noodles.

i'm sure people think it's my fault he doesnt eat veg but seriously i have tried but i can't forcefeed him. he ate very healthy purees etc until he was old enough to refuse the stuff he didn't want.

strangely my second child eats everything and has a lovely varied diet of fruit and veg. apart from a more blw approach because i couldn't be arsed pureeing stuff, i haven't been different with him.

some kids eat well, some don't. i'm not sure you can take 'all' the credit when your kids like healthy food.

sweetkitty Fri 15-Aug-08 13:34:13

My two DDs love takeaway they have it once a month I don't see the problem. Both were BLWed and have been having takeaway since about 18 months. They also eat a load of veg and fruit as well. DD2's favourite food is broccoli.

MIL's are strange creatures if you aren't feeding your baby chips by 3 weeks old you are starving them.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 13:38:13

i'm not judging anyone and i know my son will have his own preferences soon enough!

i just sometimes find it difficult with the in-laws who find it difficult to understand why i don't indulge my 9 month old with these 'treats' yet. when i don't think there is any need to yet?

i am not looking forward to the inevitable day (i am sure very soon!) when ds clamps his mouth shut!!

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 13:54:50

I can sort of see your point - I was a bit hmm when my mum first wanted to give DS a bit of cake - then I got over myself, cake - that I had made I might add - is eggs, flour, butter, sugar, hardly evil.

but chocolate on the other hand I don't want him to have yet because it's basically junk <hides stash>

Dragonbutter Fri 15-Aug-08 13:57:18

oh but wait til you see their faces when you do finally give them a chocolate button.

i also let the kids have sweets. it's part of childhood imo.

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 14:00:51

db I can't wait, I love it when Ds has something new, it's usually a face of horror 'what is this???' then delight as he realises it's quite nice

yes sweets are part of being a child, and if you never let them have something, you're giving them something to rebel against later.

I think anyway, what do I know.

Egg Fri 15-Aug-08 14:01:31

My 7 month old DTs had baby biscuits for the first time yesterday (those ones sweetened with grape juice so not real biscuits at all you understand).

I wish I had video'd their faces, esp DD. She was over the moon. I have never seen her so happy.

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 14:04:22

my dh has different food allergies and ds already allergic to eggs, so i know i am a bit over protective food wise until his tummy is a little more mature. i didn't mean to come over all self-righteous, i'm not, i just needed to vent some annoyance.
plus, means i then have to share treats, when pester power does kick in grin

Dragonbutter Fri 15-Aug-08 14:06:24

it's alright likessleep, just watch yourself at your SIL's smile

likessleep Fri 15-Aug-08 14:11:26

aren't families fun smile

Tinkjon Wed 20-Aug-08 22:36:30

That sounds a bit like my family who think it's weird when DCs eat anything 'unusual'. DS is only 11 months old and at that age an apple is just as unusual as an olive or a piece of squid (both things he ate recently). Babies aren't born knowing what a typical British diet is - whatever we give them is normal to them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now