Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk trauma

(6 Posts)
Puppie Wed 13-Aug-08 13:09:49

Oh Lord! For the past five days I have been trying to give my DS (11 mths) Cows milk as I want to switch from formula. It is clearly THE END OF THE WORLD for him. He spits it out...then does and Incredible Hulk impression...then starts shouting.

How long did it take any of you or did your LO's like it immediately?

LittleMyDancingForJoy Wed 13-Aug-08 13:15:21

DS took to it straight away without a murmur. Is there a particular reason you want him to drink cow's milk? Maybe leave it for a bit?

It's not recommended as a main drink until 12 months anyway, I know that's not far off but maybe he's just not ready?

Puppie Wed 13-Aug-08 13:18:53

Trying to get him drinking out of a cup to protect his teeth and thought I would Switch to cows milk at the same time. Also wanted to get him having it before he goes to CM as I cant see her being able to spend 40 mins a time giving him his bottle sad

LittleMyDancingForJoy Wed 13-Aug-08 13:25:44

Maybe changing both the bottle and the drink at the same time is too much for him?

Don't forget it's the CM's job to look after your child, that's what you're paying her to do, and that includes feeding him, so if it takes that long to give him his bottle she'll have to do it, iyswim. I'm all for making things easier for CMs, but there's a limit.

I did the same, tried to get DS to take a cup before he started nursery, but gave up in the end.

I know the cup thing gets pushed by the HVs a lot, but tbh DS has never drunk milk out of a cup. He's 2.4 now and still has a bottle first thing in the morning - cup for water and juice, but milk comes out of a bottle as far as he's concerned. I figure as he drinks it down in one go, it can't be too bad for his teeth.

Don't know if any of this helps, but if you're really keen on the cup thing, why not try formula in a cup, and then switch to cow's milk once he's used to the cup? Or change the milk first, then go onto a cup?

HTH

Puppie Wed 13-Aug-08 13:29:30

Thats a good idea, I might try the formula in a cup first! Seems so obvious but still got Pg brain! My childminder has 4 under 5's so I'm just stressing a bit about the feeding situation. I know its her job but I cant logically see how you can feed that many children ( I find it tiring with just one! wink

LittleMyDancingForJoy Wed 13-Aug-08 14:02:11

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now