Talk

Advanced search

Toast for BLW - what sort of bread, or does it matter?

(13 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Mon 11-Aug-08 22:11:20

We haven't started yet - but he's 23 weeks today and is making wistful puppy-dog eyes/lurching forward and trying to grab my food, so I don't think it'll be long now. Oh, and I cheated a bit and have been giving him 'tastes' of hummous off my finger. God, he loves hummous...

Anyway, I was wondering about giving him toast with his hummous and/or mushed up sweet potato - and don't know if there's any 'optimum' bread to use. Some of them have loads of salt in, although presumably he's not going to gum that much down in the first weeks. I like granary breads, but do they have too many hard granary, seedy bits?

Or am I just overthinking this whole thing? :-)

TheProvincialLady Mon 11-Aug-08 22:13:18

It must be organic, hand kneaded lentil bread from an ethically sourced cooperative non battery bakers.

Or Tesco Value.

Yes, you are worrying too muchgrin

MamaHobgoblin Mon 11-Aug-08 22:18:26

grin lol at organic hand-knitted lentil bread!

Well ahem I was naturally thinking of making my own from the small, organic crop of spelt and emmer in the back garden...

Thought as much. I think I'm getting a bit wobbly about starting on BLW because a) life (and nappies) are about to get more complicated and b) against everything I've read, I'm still worried he'll choke. I know he won't. But I'm daft. smile

NorthernLurker Mon 11-Aug-08 22:21:04

You are overthinkingit! grin

You are right about salt levels though - it's worth keeping an eye those. My dd3 likes toasted pitta bread and hummusand you can also go a long way with breadsticks and crumpets.

AlexanderPandasmum Mon 11-Aug-08 22:26:40

I tried not to give more than 1 slice of bread per day while ds was in the early stages because I noticed there was a lot of salt, but I started to relax a bit around 10-11 months.

You can always use the baby rice cakes if you are worried about salt. Some people go the whole hog and buy a breadmaker and all power to them for doing it!

AlexanderPandasmum Mon 11-Aug-08 22:28:18

PS. My DS adored sweet potato smile and still does now. Roasted is yummy and very easy to gum as it disintegrates very quickly.

DillyTanty Mon 11-Aug-08 22:29:21

think toast or good chewy crusts, doesn't matter the type of bread, it's jut to stop them making a doughy ball of bread in their mouths and getting all gaggy. he'll be fine, it'll be a laugh, don't worry. smile

Ricecakes are grand - Kallo do salt-free ones. You can probably feel fairly safe giving him those before he hits 26 weeks if you (and he) are so inclined, but hold off on the gluten until 26 weeks.

I agree - Tesco stripey grin - most of it will end up on the floor anyway (or chewed up and then spat out, which is the current preferred mode of dealing with most foodstuffs in this household just now angry) grin

EyeballsintheSky Mon 11-Aug-08 22:34:46

Crumpets! I never thought of giving dd those. Oh dear, that means any crumpets in the Eyeballs house are going to have to be split three ways, and it's violent enough as it is

NorthernLurker Mon 11-Aug-08 22:42:20

Oooh yes - crupets are very handy and so quick to toast. You'll just have to buy large packs grin

MamaHobgoblin Mon 11-Aug-08 22:42:49

Had forgotten rice cakes! Easy. Will start with those, then. Will also remember roasting sweet potato. I sort of got caught up in the weaning frenzy from some of the other women in my NCT group, and blitzed some sweet potato and ice-cube'd it, even though I knew I wanted to give BLW a crack. I suppose it's a rite of passage?

Crumpets are no good, I will eat them before he's had a chance to get his sticky little paws on them.

Thanks, everyone! smile

MrsJamin Tue 12-Aug-08 08:40:24

It's all about quantities really - if they don't eat a lot of quantity of something, you don't need to worry so much about salt content.

I had a breadmaker anyway and it really isn't any trouble to make bread, I find it's easier to make some when DS has his morning nap then we don't need to go to the shops to get something for lunch - so actually it makes life easier to make it.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying a breadmaker if you don't already have one though. If you buy bread, I'd just get white as too much fibre isn't great, especially in the beginning as it can clog up their digestive system a bit (they don't need it as much as adults do).

Naetha Tue 12-Aug-08 22:40:29

try different breads, and see what goes down best.

DS loves crusty white bread rolls (the part-bake ones you can buy from supermarkets)but will happily munch on granary crusts as well. As far as he's concerned, the chewier the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now