Talk

Advanced search

Can my DD have: Whole blueberries, baked beans, spaggetti and tomato puree?

(21 Posts)
chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 10:17:09

Not together of course!!!

Are whole blueberries a choking hazard? I am guessing they are?

Baked beans, I know she can have them, but are they a choking hazard to have whole? Or can I just give them as they are?

Spaggetti - I was going to do some spag bol and usually mashh/blend her meals, but also give her some to play with/eat on her try. Can I give her long bits of spaggetti?

Tomatoe puree - I have a fresh bakers loaf left over from yeserday, was hoping to make pizza bread out of them. She already eats bread and cheese - but is tomato puree ok?

Thanks

clayre Mon 11-Aug-08 10:19:21

how old is she?

FabioFridgeFluffFrenzy Mon 11-Aug-08 10:20:29

Depends on how old she is.

If 6 months, you want to be careful - make sure it's all v soft and not too lumpy.

If she's 15, you're worrying too much. grin

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 10:20:47

Blueberries - halve them

beans and spaghetti - beans fine, the spagheetti won't choke her although it would be easier to swallow if you chop it to a couple of inches long. Tomato puree fine.

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-Aug-08 10:22:13

cut the blueberries in half if you are worried

Baked beans are fine.

cut the spaghetti inot short bits if you are worried but no need to mash

tomato puree fine.

If you are worried, just supervise her like a hawk incase of choking, but if she's over 6 months she should be able to cope and deal with minor chokes.

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 10:23:40

Oppps, forgot to say she is 7 months old - might help!!

Thanks for the replies!

clayre Mon 11-Aug-08 10:25:45

instead of using spagetti i used to use pasta tubes or twirls cos its easier for them to pick up, other than that i gave everything else

Kif Mon 11-Aug-08 10:30:21

firstly - depends whether you're of the baby led weaning or anabel karmel school of feeding,

I'd say - nothing intrinsically wrong with tom puree - but it doesn't taste too good unless you use a tiny amount or mix it with sieved tomatoes. And isn't pizza a bit of a faf for 7 m.o.?

baked beans - too salty imo. why not plain cannelini (sp?) beans?

spaghetti - fine - and let him play with it - it's fun.

bueberries - light squishing is much quicker than halving with the same effect. I've never found them a problm, and my son's eaten A LOT of blueberries

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 10:52:21

Kif - I wasnt going to make the pizza just for DD, I was making for me and DH and wanted to know if she can have some too as I want her to have what we are having when possible.

And also, I am not doing BLW or Annabel Karmel, I just go with the flow and give a bit of everything, some puree, some finger foods, some mashed etc. Depends on where we are, what we are eating etc. Works best for us as I dont really see the need for "rules" as long as the food is healthy.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 10:56:58

Chloemegjess, that's very ignorant weaning and if you're not careful, you will end up with a child who will taste anything and has a healthy and joyful approach to food!

Did you not know about the four day rule, the sieve rule, the separate food rule, the paediatrician rule, the weaning spoon rule and the double shunt Brentingby-Smythe rule? You can't just give them food willy-nilly, they'll grow up thinking all they have to do is put it in their mouths and enjoy it!

witchandchips Mon 11-Aug-08 10:59:34

every thing is fine (blueberries too soft for choking)
- but be warned about blueberry poo. A few hours after a blueberry feast, the poo is turquoise! No problem its just the skin that is not digested (like kernals of sweetcorn + raisins) but it is really frightening when you first see it.

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 11:16:53

Thatbiggermanprison - I wasnt really sure exactly what you are meaning - weather you are having a dig or saying its good?

Notyummy Mon 11-Aug-08 11:21:21

I read thatbiggermanprison's comments as positive! grin

hughjarssss Mon 11-Aug-08 11:24:25

Biggermanprison isn't being serious.

She's kinda saying well done for doing without all the books and all the faff.

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 11:28:18

I thought it was, I just didnt want to say thank you if it was actually the other way round! lol

I do admitt, I did read annabel karmel book, that was given to me, but just took the advise about what they can and cant have etc and used it in my own way. I read it before weaning and havent looked back to refer or anything, as I see it as just a rough idea as to how the best way to cook stuff is etc

Kif Mon 11-Aug-08 11:32:45

Whether - for example - whole beans are OK depends on what they've eaten before.

I'd give any of those things straight on the highchair ttray. However, that wouldn't be the best advice for a baby that's had alll ourees up to now! That's what I meant.

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 11:49:50

ok, thanks kif. I wasnt being funny, just trying to describe what we have been doing

weebump Wed 13-Aug-08 01:02:40

I don't understand why it depends on whether blw or Annabelle Karmel? why would it be different? Surely some foods are ok and some are not, no matter.

(btw, I think AK's great, as she's suggested all sorts of foods I wouldn't have thought of using for baby and as a result I'm confident in feeding her similar stuff to our own meals. The main thing is salt and sugar though. If I was having baked beans I wouldn't offer to baby because of the salt and sugar in them. I also make sure baby gets plenty of finger foods too, so I'm not following one 'regime' either.)

Anyway, I would suggest no to baked beans because of salt and sugar, and similarly make sure tomato purée is salt free, esp if putting it on bread with cheese, as that's plenty of salt already.

chloemegjess Sun 17-Aug-08 08:17:10

Weebump, I think the low sugar and salt baked beans are ok. They are very healthy overal

megcleary Sun 17-Aug-08 08:22:49

dd is 11 mo and adores whole blue berries but i halve grapes

spicemonster Sun 17-Aug-08 08:31:12

I laughed at someone on here who said that they cut blueberries for their child and then the next day one got stuck in my DS and I had to hold him over the sink and bang him on the back to get it out. So now I squish bigger ones (I figure the little ones are too little to get stuck).

Mine had pizza with pesto and tomatoes from about seven months - he loved it (although it is extraordinarily messy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now