Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else started weaning at 17 weeks?

(9 Posts)
frans Sun 10-Aug-08 16:00:14

DD is 4 months old today and I've decided to try to wean her - she was a big baby at birth (95th percentile) and seems to be ahead with her physical development - she is extremely active. I'm still b/feeding and she's been wearing me out with 2.5 hourly feeds around the clock. I tried her with a little organic rice mixed with b/milk earlier and she seemed to enjoy it and had no problem with the spoon. I'm feeling guilty that I've started weaning before 6 mths but think she's ready. I'm planning to stick to rice and one or two fruits for at least the next month or 6 weeks to avoid tummy troubles. Has anyone else started weaning early?

beansprout Sun 10-Aug-08 16:02:32

Is she able to sit up, make a pincer movement with her finger and thumb and has she lost the tongue thrust reflex? These are the signs of her being ready for food. I also grow v big babies but that in itself does not mean they need to wean early. smile

Fruit does not have more nutrition or calories than b/milk so it won't solve any feeding problems. There is a hideous growth spurt at about 4 months which leads to an increase in feeding but it does settle down again. Promise!!

frans Sun 10-Aug-08 16:05:20

She can sit up with little support and grab small things. She has also lost the tongue thrust reflex as she was happily sucking the spoon. I didn't know that there's yet another growth spurt to come so soon so will keep an eye on her to make sure she keeps her milk intake up. Thanks!

stitch Sun 10-Aug-08 16:05:27

yes, just over a decade ago, the advice was 16 weeks. i started ds at 15.5 weeks for the reasons you have mentioned. new moms nowadays are aghast when i mention it, but that was the advice then. i did it as i was told. he seemed happy with it. etc etc.
just dont add salt to food. and try one food at a time. wait a few days to see if she is dealing well with it. then move on to something else. stick with rice, veg and fruit initially. dont introduce meat till she is older.

broccolispears Sun 10-Aug-08 16:06:05

My sympathies - that last push to get to 6 months is really hard going when you're exclusively breastfeeding. I remember it being just as relentless as the newborn stage. It's a shame this isn't more recognised because you really do need a bit of support and acknowledgement.

'Fraid I'm in favour of waiting until 6 months though, so can't offer any support for weaning early. Good luck with whatever you decide is best for your baby.

MissisBoot Sun 10-Aug-08 16:09:30

I weaned dd at 4 months - she was practically grabbing the spoon out of my hand.

I was breastfeeding and generally still gave her the normal feeds (first thing, mid morning, lunchtime, mid afternoon and late afternoon and evening) and then started giving her fruit and veg purees after her breakfast and lunch feeds. She loved it - I continued to give her long breastfeeds too to make sure she was getting enough milk.

MrsJamin Sun 10-Aug-08 16:15:02

Please don't wean yet, Frans, there's no need to wean early. What do you hope will be achieved by weaning? As VictorianSqualor neatly says in other threads about early weaning and 'babies showing all the signs':

"The research behind weaning shows that when born baby's stomachs are permeable, to allow them to absorb the milk easier to digest. Only milk should be entering the stomach when it is permeable to avoid possible allergies or stomach/digestion problems in later life.

Somewhere between 17-26 weeks the stomach becomes unpermeable, and 'seals' which is when the baby is physically internally ready for solids. Unfortunately we can't tell which baby is ready at 17 weeks, and which is ready at 26! That's why they say to wait.

It has been suggested though, <edit> that once your baby can sit unaided, grab food, put it in their mouth, chew and swallow that they are likely to be ready internally, until then nature wouldn't allow us to be developmentally ready and we would fail at some point in the process."

Have a look at kellymom.com too for extra info.

frans Tue 12-Aug-08 10:29:40

Thanks all - think I misread the signs. DD ate well but had terrible wind in the night and was sick several time yesterday. Will wait until 6 months.

786mum Wed 13-Aug-08 22:29:36

hi there, just wanted to say that, i started weaning both my babies at 4 months. my daughter took to it brilliantly, started her with baby rice and her formular milk for a few weeks and moved on to pureed baby food and fruit my son is now 7 months old and he is now on the stage 2 baby jars. with him, i tried him at 4 months and he didnt seem ready but 2 weeks later he was. now he wants to eat everything, when he sits at the table with me, he grabs food out of my plate and he steals from his sisters plate too. he is very keen on eating. i just feel that a mum would now when her child is ready to do certain things, and if you feel that your baby is ready, go for it, just take it slowly at first, to get baby used to it. comparing other moms that i know and the fact that some of them started weaning at 4 months and some at 6 months, the ones that start earlier tend to want food more then milk. it does also help with sleeping cos they dont wake up during the night for feeds. at the end of the day, bear in mind all facts and all advice and then decide whats best for your baby, mum knows best! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now