Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else wean in ignorance?

(21 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 10-Aug-08 11:00:54

In the past year, I have read many interesting facts on weaning.

Apparently one should wait 4 days in between introducing new foods, and only ever one food at a time. You should staert giving one meal a day, and should only introduce things like meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, citrus, shellfish and spices on the consent of a medical professional.

Sadly, this came too late for my children, who are two and five and were weaned in complete ignorance. All I knew was no peanuts (brother's allergy) no kiwi fruit (my allergy), no salt, no honey and cut grapes and cherry tomatoes in half. Other than that, they got whatever I felt like giving them, based on whatever I was eating and the amusing faces they pulled. I gave fish, prawns, mince, cheese and all bloody sorts. Cheesy carrot and potato mash was a staple for about 3 months, as ds1 would eat it happily while ds2 got fed. I gave it all at once, too, not seperatly first. I just didn't know you should.

Did anyone else do this? I honestly thought weaning was just giving them healthy food they could handle, I didn't know there was a method!

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 10-Aug-08 11:06:39

blush just me then

ViolentFemme Sun 10-Aug-08 11:07:40

Yeah I read that in the Annabel Karmel (sp?) and Miriam Stoppard books and thought to hell with that.

"meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, citrus, shellfish and spices on the consent of a medical professional" I can just see my HV's face if I phoned each time ds had a new taste!

I think it's all about making sure they don't react to a certain type of food but surely life's too short?

My ds was weaned in similar manner to yours.

SazzlesA Sun 10-Aug-08 11:08:56

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Sun 10-Aug-08 11:09:43

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Sun 10-Aug-08 11:10:15

Mostly those things only apply if you are starting before 6m and/or have allergy issues. Or are American and will sue your paediatrician if you child gets hives from strawberries.

WilfSell Sun 10-Aug-08 11:19:42

I diligently followed the book with DSs 1 and 2. With DS3 he's pretty much getting 'Aitched' and wotever he can grab from the table... frankfurters, boiled eggs, curry, mackerel, much much cheese (he loves it unlike the other two buggers), scones, broad beans (rapidly spat out again!)

And jars. Which are all mixed together.

After 6m I really don't think it matters - if there are is a family history of allergies I might be a bit more cautious but its a food free for all here and I'm happy about that.

vesela Sun 10-Aug-08 22:24:27

I waited until about 11 months for yoghurt and a year for cheese and eggs, I think. I didn't see any point in giving them to her before that when I was BFing.

Bronze Sun 10-Aug-08 22:26:15

I was more like you. Can't be arsed fannying around. the sooner they eat the same as the rest of us the better. Ds1 loved pickled winkles aged 7 mths shock

DillyTanty Sun 10-Aug-08 22:29:04

ROFL at getting aitched.
i thought the advice in the UK (from the NHS rather than, er, former professional harpists hmm). was no peanuts, no honey, no salt, and think about cutting up grapes etc?

BouncingTurtle Mon 11-Aug-08 07:08:51

TBGP - nope I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you did with your los by the looks of it, except for the kiwi - no allergies in my or DH's family.
Oh and not given him fish or shellfish coz I hate any kind of seafood.

I take it your kids are fine?

Pruners Mon 11-Aug-08 08:11:12

Message withdrawn

Habbibu Mon 11-Aug-08 20:01:11

DD got aitched. If she ends up fussy I'll sue.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 11-Aug-08 20:04:52

haha i have only just found out that you should wait four days to introduce new foods when i read your post and dd2's fave from about 9 months was chicken fajitas so bang goes the no spicy foods then, ah well she is happy and healthy grin

WilfSell Mon 11-Aug-08 20:09:06

Dilly (love the name BTW) I think you're right but I've read recently that for those with no history of allergies, there might be a case for introducing peanut while breastfeeding.

Jury's out I think on what is causing the rise in peanut allergies. Some scientists seem to think it is lack of exposure to peanuts (not early exposure) in the right conditions that might be behind it.

Since there are no allergies in my family an I'm still BF, I've given DS (once he was about 9mo) the odd bit of bagel with low salt peanut butter and he blardy loves it with no ill effects.

WilfSell Mon 11-Aug-08 20:10:06

Can I just lay formal claim to the introduction of Aitching as a verb? grin For future reference like.

Where is she anyway?

Habbibu Mon 11-Aug-08 20:11:08

Nearer than you think, Wilf <taps nose>

SqueakyPop Mon 11-Aug-08 20:13:45

DC1 is 16 and I used Annabel Karmel as my guide (not for the next four though).

I skipped the wallpaper paste baby rice phase, and never did three meals a day.

We did BLW (although didn't know it had a name) for 2-5, and by no. 5, waited until they were at the foraging stage. Now we have a dog to catch the food that falls instead of a 9 month old child.

One thing I was paranoid about was foreign proteins (from having read Breast is Best), and would wait until at least nine months before giving them meat, wheat etc.

ivykaty44 Mon 11-Aug-08 20:17:47

I had no idea that weaning was so complicated has it always been like this - was I supposed to do all this 9 years ago or is this complicated stuff new?

I weaned at 4 month, gave tea first for a while and just gave baby rice for a few days then just puree and then by 6 months she was on cows milk and weetbix, what ever for lunch and dinner. At this time there were 4 other children around and she got a few to many sneaked biscuits aswell wink

DillyTanty Mon 11-Aug-08 22:11:14

why thankyou Wilf. as you know i'm a great admirer of your work also... grin

and the thing about the peanuts... jury's still out on the LEAP study, innit? i bet we'll all be encouraged to chow down on snickers while pg in a few years though.

Mummyfor3 Mon 11-Aug-08 22:15:35

Any peanut allergy in countries where ground nuts are staple food?? Noooo!!

(But as serious Snickers addict I would kling to that, wouldn't I? grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now