Talk

Advanced search

Does a BLW 7 MO need yoghurt?

(11 Posts)
MrsJamin Sat 09-Aug-08 09:29:03

Have been BLWing 7 MO DS for a month now - he's not had yoghurt yet, as I haven't spoon-fed him at all, and I figure he's getting fruit and breastmilk, so what's the point of it?

Trouble is, I feel like I'm being a meany mummy and should be giving it to him, feeling like 'all babies have yoghurt' - so should I give in and give it to him?

DustyTV Sat 09-Aug-08 09:37:57

I don't know if they need yoghurt but my daughter does like them occasionally.

I freeze the little yoghurts with a plastic spoon in the end (gives them something to hold) and give it to DD that way. She loves it and it's a nice treat for a hot day. Be warned though if you do this it is very very very messy.

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 09-Aug-08 09:49:58

No baby needs yoghurt. Lots of babies can't have it because they are milk intolerant, so yours certainly wouldn't be the only one missing out.

jafina Sat 09-Aug-08 19:51:51

and if you don't want to spoon feed at all then you can wait until your ds has some spoon control and give him a nice thick yogurt, which is a good thing to start with. My dd is 10mo and can get a few spoonfuls in herself provided I load the spoon.

MrsJamin Sat 09-Aug-08 20:18:36

Yes I guess it would be a nice incentive when he gets better with a spoon, otherwise he might get frustrated by how slow he is with it. Thanks jafina.

chloemegjess Sat 09-Aug-08 20:24:15

My 7 month old has a frozen frube occasionally. Probably has lots of sugar etc in, but on the odd occasion I dont mind. She had them frozen when she had tonsillitis and she loved them. So I now keep a pack in the freezer and give her one when teething. She can then hold it herself, but is still getting yogurt, no spooning needed. Although we are not actually doing blw, but thought it might be helpful

Seona1973 Sat 09-Aug-08 20:25:28

yoghurt can be finger fed - it is messy but it can be done!! A nice thick one is best for that along with a mat for the floor and plenty of cleaning cloths.

StellaWasADiver Sat 09-Aug-08 20:25:47

What about dipping in some sticks of mango? Yum yum.

Seona1973 Sat 09-Aug-08 20:26:30

you could use it as a dip for all sorts of fruits too I suppose

StellaWasADiver Sat 09-Aug-08 20:26:52

Ooh yes strawberries good too.

BouncingTurtle Sun 10-Aug-08 09:49:21

I give DS thick Greek Style yoghurt sweetened with fruit puree but I tend to spoon feed him it blush
He does love it though, and he is very clear about when he has had enough! He does have his own spoon as well which he uses to feed himself as well as me feeding him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now