Talk

Advanced search

exactly how much is a baby portion of fruit and veg....?

(8 Posts)
Mine Sat 09-Aug-08 09:17:27

Hi there
I'm hoping someone can tell me what exactly is a 'baby portion' of fruit and the same for veg....

For example is 1 teaspoon of fruit puree counted as one portion?
Does half a carrot count as one portion of veg?
Is one baby yogurt 1 portion of dairy..??

The crux of it is that i am confused about whether or not i am giving ds enough fruit and veg. I've read a lot here about making sure they get their 5-a-day but i've not actually figured out what their portion sizes are/should be!!

If its relevant, ds is 10months old and follows a mixture of a spoon fed diet as well as BLW. All his meals are home cooked. I even make my own yogurt!! So i can't measure portion sizes from jars/tubs etc.

thanks in advance x

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Sat 09-Aug-08 09:19:42

I was told by HV that a portion for a baby/toddler/child is around the size of the palm of their hand.

CountTo10 Sat 09-Aug-08 09:22:57

Rule of thumb is that a portion of fruit/veg for anyone is a handful so I tend to make it about the size of my kids hands and that should cover it. Not sure re the dairy, you could look at the NHS or govt websites to see what guidelines they have but I would say that a baby yog would count as one not forgetting any milk they still have.

Dalrymps Sat 09-Aug-08 09:52:47

Hey mine, yeah, like the others have said I think it's the size of their palm. I wouldn't worry too much though, there was something on the news a while ago about kids needing fruit and veg but also equally needing plenty fat and dairy, like you are doing. Good on you making all your own food, I try but have to admit resorting to jars on occasion!

Overmydeadbody Sat 09-Aug-08 09:57:51

size of palm is a portoion, but I do not think that the f a day guidelines apply to ten month olds. It would be too much fibre for a start.

Mine Sat 09-Aug-08 10:00:08

thanks all, i shall be able to measure this more accurately now!

Seona1973 Sat 09-Aug-08 13:46:15

the 5 a day applies to children over the age of 5 and there are no set guidelines for how much to give to children younger than that. This is what the food standards agency says:

Does the advice to eat at least five portions of fruit and veg apply to young children?

Adults and children aged five and above are recommended to eat at least five portions of fruit and veg a day. Between the ages of two and five you can gradually start giving children fruit and veg, working up to five portions a day.

By the time your child is two years old, it's important to start introducing a variety of foods, including fruit and veg. Research shows that the more frequently different food is offered to children, the more likely they are to eat a varied diet later on. So don't be put off if your child doesn't eat a new food the first time you offer it. Try again several times.

Mine Sun 10-Aug-08 18:09:16

Thanks Seona !!!
I'll just keep doing what i'm doing then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now