Talk

Advanced search

Feeding a 5 month old

(4 Posts)
saintblck Thu 07-Aug-08 16:02:13

Hi I have stared weaning my little boy Jake. He still has his bottled milk and has been having jar foods, but is not keen on these. I am going to try him on home made shepherds pie tonight, but am a bit worried about the salt in the gravey. I have tried baby gravey but this just makes everything taste of the jar foods. Has anybody any advice?

saintblck Thu 07-Aug-08 16:10:06

Hi I have stared weaning my little boy Jake. He still has his bottled milk and has been having jar foods, but is not keen on these. I am going to try him on home made shepherds pie tonight, but am a bit worried about the salt in the gravey. I have tried baby gravey but this just makes everything taste of the jar foods. Has anybody any advice?

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 16:12:47

Since having my son I don't use gravy powder or stock cubes.

If you are making enough for everyone, you could try frying up some celery, carrot and onion together before adding the mince. Then using a tin of tomatoes instead of stock and slow cooking it for an hour. 1/2 a tsp of dried herbs adds flavour too.

For other meals, we add water to the cooking juices from the meat.

MrsJamin Thu 07-Aug-08 16:20:41

To be honest, if he's not keen on solids, then I'd wait until 6 months as per the health guidelines. He's probably just not ready - there's no need to rush into it, formula is all he needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now