Talk

Advanced search

Dimwit question .alert ....... Why cant babies have curry?

(27 Posts)
Sullwah Wed 06-Aug-08 09:01:52

I dont mean a CTM from your local curry house grin. But why does everyone seem to avoid giving anything remotely spicy to babies and children?

We eat a lot of spicy food and I would love to just give the DTs what we eat ....

When can you start to introduce spices?

clayre Wed 06-Aug-08 09:04:18

i didnt know you couldnt give babies curry, my dd was eating at under a year old, wonder when indian babies start eating it?

does make very nasty nappies!!!

scanner Wed 06-Aug-08 09:06:58

When mine were babies one of the organic baby food companies did a few curries, all my dc's loved them. My youngest is 5, so perhaps things have changed since then. Mind you they used to tell us not to eat spicy food if we were bf.

cmotdibbler Wed 06-Aug-08 12:45:58

Mine had mild curry from 9 months or so, and although he doesn't like very spicy food at 2 (like chilli sauce) he very happily eats korma and mild spicy food in chinese or indian restaurants.

DillyTanty Wed 06-Aug-08 12:48:41

dd had mildly spiced foods from 6 months, say, chillis flavoured with rose harissa and cloves rather than out and out heat from a chopped chilli. they do actually have more taste buds so are pretty sensitive, but so long as i had yoghurt around for stirring in if necessary, i never found it a problem.

jelliebelly Wed 06-Aug-08 12:50:13

no reason I know of why they can't have curry but lots of parents don't like the idea of giving children spicy food to eat.

Walnutshell Wed 06-Aug-08 12:50:45

Isn't it something to do with the kidneys and processing too much spice?!? Certainly Indian children will eat spicy food but I understand it is introduced gradually. I did eat curry and b/feed and ds has mildly spiced food.

VictorianSqualor Wed 06-Aug-08 12:52:53

DS1 had curry by about 7 months. He started off with naan bread and some mild sauce, and some onion bahji actuallygrin
Then as he got bigger he had rice and meat too, he loves spicy food.

Walnutshell Wed 06-Aug-08 12:54:23

Ok to eat spicy food while feeding

Walnutshell Wed 06-Aug-08 12:56:03

goodness knows where I got anything to do with kidney's from hmm

this is interesting though

littleducks Wed 06-Aug-08 12:56:06

I avoided giving dd curried foods for a while (dh is asian) due to the salt content but as she got older she has what we have, occassionally she says something is too spicy but the majority of the time she enjoys it

Brangelina Wed 06-Aug-08 12:56:51

They can have curry, spices do no harm whatsoever, only salt. A lot of spices are actually very good for you, like ginger (aids digestion) and turmeric, for instance. My DD has had curries from when she was weaned at 6mo and so did I at a lot younger. DD's childminder when little was from Sri Lanka and gave her a lot of spicy stuff - apparently all children are started on chilli peppers at 7mo!

I'm afraid I don't agree with giving children bland food, and my DD doesn't like tasteless things anyway, she probably got used to all the curries I ate when bfeedinggrin.

WilfSell Wed 06-Aug-08 12:57:01

they can. Mine loved lentil dhal made with mild spices and later love curry of all kinds...

MamaHobgoblin Wed 06-Aug-08 15:19:55

I suppose you'd have to watch out for the use of peanut oil if you were feeding pre-prepared curries or takeaways, if you were worried about peanuts in the first place...

I ate loads of spicy foods while I was pregnant (my main craving was Lebanese and most sorts of curry), and didn't hold off during bf, so I think I'd want to try mild spices after he's been on solids for a while.

Sullwah Thu 07-Aug-08 08:24:17

Thanks everyone - I suspected that people just felt that spices are too strong for little ones rather than there being any factual reason.

Will feed my DTs spicy food and see what happens

Miaou Thu 07-Aug-08 08:36:06

Oooh yes mine were all weaned onto strong tasting food - we eat tons of garlic so they got that from a young age too (though I find that too much garlic for a young baby gives them a bit of a tummy ache and very smelly poos grin). They all enjoy a good curry now. I ate lots whilst breastfeeding too so like brangelina they probably got used to it from a young age grin

ChopsTheDuck Thu 07-Aug-08 08:45:17

No reason not to give it to them, and home cooked curries shouldn't contain lots of salt.

frome ating.heath.com -
Researchers have suggested that turmeric could play a role in slowing down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, while cumin has been praised not only as an iron source, but also for its potential, like mustard seeds, to prevent cancer and aid in digestion. Coriander has been used in India for its anti-inflammatory properties and studied in the United States for its possible connection to cholesterol reduction; the spice already is considered a good source of dietary fiber, iron, and magnesium. And chili has been associated with everything from pain relief, reduced congestion, and stomach ulcer prevention to weight loss and increased cardiovascular health.

When weaning I didn't add any salt to food. Mine were weaned onto whatever we ate though. The dts hate bland food. They really struggle if presented with nuggets and chips. They love rice dishes, biriyani, jambalaya, paella, risotto. They pinch raw onions while I am cooking, and dt1 was licking mustard off a spoon last week. hmm

I really feel strongly about the benefits of weaning onto a variety of foods. I find it so hard to feed playdates because they won't eat anything other than food specifically marketed at children.

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 08:47:06

My son had very mild chilli and curry by 7 months. He has almost always been given what we are eating and as we cook everything from scratch it has been easy to take a bit out for him before adding more spice for the grown ups.

He also had peanut butter on toast at 9 months but that was a mistake by a well meaning gran who didn't know peanuts were banned. He was fine.

He'll eat just about anything except white bread, icecream, milk puddings and white chocolate so I guess he doesn't like bland stuff.

His favourite food is marmite again, a strong taste

Bumperlicious Thu 07-Aug-08 09:10:28

DD had curry here from a young age, would stir a bit of natural yogurt into it though. She loves it! We did try giving her a thai curry ones but it was a bit too hot bless her, they'll soon tell you if it's too hot, and you can just give them a bit of milk to cool them down.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 08-Aug-08 14:02:06

As long as you're making your own so you know whats in it in terms of salt/oils etc there's no problem. Our HV advised giving the same foods the family ate, as they'lll have to eat that once they're weaned anyway.
DD loved mildly curried lentils from 7 mo.
She eats anything and everything- will try anything new too, so go ahead!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wasabipeanut Fri 08-Aug-08 14:08:18

My ds has mild chillis and curry's - he loves them. I just put a teeny weeny bit of chill in to make his tongue tingle. Things like cumin and stuff he's fine with.

He likes his chilli served with greek yog, a dollop of guacamole and a crusty roll on the side!

RedHead81 Fri 08-Aug-08 14:11:56

i used to give curry and chilli with yogurt and mixed with baby rice when he was a baby - he always had whatever i cooked for us.

katiepotatie Fri 08-Aug-08 14:16:09

I make my own curry and have given it to DD since she was one...she loves it grin

katiepotatie Fri 08-Aug-08 14:16:10

I make my own curry and have given it to DD since she was one...she loves it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now