Talk

Advanced search

baby just can't/won't wean.. feeling worried.

(4 Posts)
mieowcat Tue 05-Aug-08 21:53:50

Hiya,
my 27 week old dd is really struggling with weaning. she just cant seem to swallow any food, ive tried loads of different things,baby rice, petit-filous, home made veggie puree, etc, she just holds it on her tongue then spits it out. at nursery they do get one lunch in her but this takes an hour!
im sure shes ready for weaning as she began waking up 2hourly a few weeks ago.anyoneknown of similar problems? advice very welcome! thankyou. x

DillyTanty Tue 05-Aug-08 21:59:57

leave her alone Right Now, and tell the nursery to BACK OFF as well. she doesn't need the food for nutrition, she needs to experience what it's like and someone shoving a spoon at her for an hour sounds horrible, doesn't it?

you don't even have a problem yet, you've presumably only been weaning for a week if you're following the govt guidelines.

why don't you just let her at some finger food, have a look at this www.babyledweaning.com and you'll see that babies are perfectly capable of feeding themselves by that age. if they don't or won't, that is Super Super Fine and No Problem. just let them get on with eating in their own time. Food's for fun until they're one and all that... smile

theyoungvisiter Tue 05-Aug-08 22:07:37

agree with Dilly - just relax! My DS didn't take food in any quantity at all until about 9 months. As long as they're thriving it's really NOT a problem and they WILL get there eventually. You'll just stress yourself out by trying to fight their natural timetable.

Also IMO night waking has little or nothing to do with readiness for solids - it can be to do with teething, being unsettled, change in routine, change in weather, learning a new skill, just plain cussedness etc etc... you name it really. Chances are food has nothing to do with it and may not solve the issue.

BlessThisMess Tue 05-Aug-08 22:36:48

Neither of my DDs were particularly interested in food at 6 months. With my second DD, I waited until she grabbed a piece of pizza crust out of my hands - that was her first solid food! I guess she was about 7-8 months then.

Really, just relax. It's only about getting used to different tastes and textures - not about getting a quantity of food into them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now